Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Oct 28, 2015 @ 21:02
    gary

Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule returns 404

Hi

Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over.

2015-10-28 20:55:45,721 [P8932/D12/T37] WARN Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule - Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over.

Why would this return a 404?

Any insights would be very welcome

Cheers

Gary

• Ansar 181 posts 291 karma points
    Nov 27, 2015 @ 17:15
    Ansar

We are seeing same error in two of our latest projects made in 7.3.1

The CMS will get logged out and the IIS login popup displays.

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Nov 29, 2015 @ 13:34
    gary

Hi Anz

Had another look at this, found answer on

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19286564/umbraco-6-home-errors-out-on-appharbor

Have changed my global.asax file to

<%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplication" Language="C#" %>

As yet it has not happened again, ok the WARN ....is 404 is still there but it has not restarted IIS.

Hope this helps

Gary

• Per 14 posts 99 karma points
    Feb 15, 2016 @ 10:00
    Per

Using 7.3.1 - I am getting the exact same error in UmbracoTraceLog.txt file:

2016-02-15 10:54:18,379 [P3868/D2/T3] WARN  Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule - Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over.

My Global.asax file looks like this:

<%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplication" Language="C#" %>

I cannot trace where the 404 is coming from (have checked IIS W3C log).

Have you found a fix / does the problem still occur on your end?

• a side effect for me is that eventually the entire side will produce a 404 status on all pages rendering the site dead = lost customers. Only way to solve it is to restart Application Pool but the problem resurfaces from time to time. Another user had a similar problem described here: Published pages returning 404 - however the suggested solution won't fix it for me.

Hoping for some help as I have no more troubleshooting ideas left.

• Chris Ashton 57 posts 89 karma points
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 12:24
    Chris Ashton

@Per Did you ever find a solution to this, I'me experiencing something similar in 7.4.1?

Cheers, Chris

Mar 19, 2016 @ 12:26
    Per

Hi Chris

We don't see the problem anymore but I can not remember what exactly we did to change it. Off the top of my head this is what I can remember:

• We are running 7.4.0 now
    • When we upgraded we copied the Umbraco folders manually instead of using VS to upgrade, then recompiled. This always seems to fix many problems - i.e. not upgrading via VS but simply deleting the umbraco folders and reinstating fresh ones.
    • We have implemented custom 404 page via Umbraco.

So best guess is either upgrade or custom 404 will solve it. But with you running 7.4.1 I do not know.

Best Per

Mar 19, 2016 @ 13:54
    Chris Ashton

Thanks for the reply Per.

We've already got a custom 404 page via Umbraco's /config/umbracoSettings.config. I see 7.4.2 was out yesterday which addresses another issue we were having, so I think I'll upgrade to that and see what happens.

Thanks again, Chris

Mar 22, 2016 @ 12:28
    Per

You are welcome :) Hope 7.4.2 will fix it.

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    Mar 22, 2016 @ 12:01
    Dan Evans

We are running 7.4.1 and have just seen this problem. 100s of 404 errors in the logs for a few hours then it resolved itself.

What is the solution?

Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over.

• Michael Kuhn 2 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 00:26
    Michael Kuhn

I saw this error where we were blocking the /umbarco URL on the production server using a rewrite rule. We ended up adding )(?!/RestServices/)(?!/ping.aspx) to the end.

<rule name="Restrict access" stopProcessing="true"> 
      <match url="umbraco(?!/Surface/)(?!/Api/)(?!/api/)(?!/webservices/)(?!/RestServices/)(?!/ping.aspx)" />
      <conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAny" trackAllCaptures="false"> 
        <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" matchType="Pattern" pattern="^management.host.com$" 
         ignoreCase="true" negate="true" /> 
      </conditions> 
    <action type="Redirect" url="/not-found" appendQueryString="false" /> 

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Apr 16, 2016 @ 13:45
    Lee

We are having this problem in v7.4.2 on a new site. Literally hundreds and hundreds of them.

We have a couple of content finders in the site and we have also inherited from Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplication in our global.cs file.

Any pointers help would be appreciated.

Apr 18, 2016 @ 09:29
    Chris Ashton

Hi Lee,

I've followed a few of these errors through, and on those occasions the error in the log file was a result of:

IPublishedContent mediaNode = Umbraco.TypedMedia(id);

i.e. when debugging I can see the log file entry added as this line executes.

Further inspection revealed the media item with id = 'id' in the above code had been deleted, and hence mediaNode = null, which is fine and checked for lated on, but it seems odd to log as an error?

• Bo Jacobsen 593 posts 2389 karma points
    Jun 09, 2016 @ 10:10
    Bo Jacobsen

Anyone found a solution for this?

We have 2 sites that are getting the warning

WARN Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule - Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over.

1) is running 7.3.3 and are getting the warning every 2 seconds.

2) is running 7.3.5 and are getting the warning every 1 min and 30 seconds.

both are running as https.

Jun 09, 2016 @ 10:37
    Per

Hi Bo

My best advice - try upgrading to a later Umbraco version using folder copy (don't use VS builtin NuGet upgrade). That being said, it could a lot of other issues as outlined in the thread. We solved it by upgrading or implementing a custom 404 handler (can't really remember which one solved it).

Per

• Michael Kuhn 2 posts 72 karma points
    Jun 09, 2016 @ 22:44
    Michael Kuhn

My recommendation would be check the IIS log files and verify what is actually generating the 404 errors and resolve that way.

In my case the we run the site in SSL but block the /umbraco externally so that the site can only be updated internally. By reviewing the IIS log files we identified additional paths which the site required in order to work and we needed to exclude these from the URL rewrite.

• Bo Jacobsen 593 posts 2389 karma points
    Jun 23, 2016 @ 13:49
    Bo Jacobsen

We could not link anything from the IIS log file to the current Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule - Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over. warning.

So we solved it by setting trySkipIisCustomErrors to true in /Config/umbracoSettings.config

• Nurhak Kaya 53 posts 147 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Jan 24, 2017 @ 14:13
    Nurhak Kaya

I have solved it by setting trySkipIisCustomErrors to true in /Config/umbracoSettings.config as well.

My project's Umbraco version is 7.4.3 assembly: 1.0.5948.18141

• nickornotto 397 posts 900 karma points
    Oct 31, 2019 @ 23:46
    nickornotto

According to the information provided in current umbraco settings file (my version is already 7.15.1):

@trySkipIisCustomErrors
            Tries to skip IIS custom errors.
            Starting with IIS 7.5, this must be set to true for Umbraco 404 pages to show. Else, IIS will take
            over and render its built-in error page. See MS doc for HttpResponseBase.TrySkipIisCustomErrors.
            The default value is false, for backward compatibility reasons, which means that IIS _will_ take
            over, and _prevent_ Umbraco 404 pages to show.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft