Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Philip Johnson 3 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 10:15
    Philip Johnson

Reset Admin Password in Umbraco 7.3.1

I recently had a problem where I could not log into an Umbraco site on my dev machine.

I am not sure why the password went missing. I believe the latest version of Umbraco generates a unique salt for every password in the system, and it doesn't allow the password format="Clear" method either.

Please can someone tell me what is the easiest, quickest way to restore the situation if the admin password is forgotton? If I had entered a lot of content into the site this would have been a big deal, as it was I just deleted the site and started again.

The only other thing to add is that my MAC address has changed on my dev machine due to a new motherboard being fitted, so maybe thats why creating a new site and then copying the password hash over from that into my old site didn't work...

• John Seto 37 posts 98 karma points
    Nov 23, 2015 @ 22:54
    John Seto

I've seem to have had this issue too. On my test dev I always use password123 but it seems to have forgotten this...

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Nov 24, 2015 @ 06:35
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi

You can always copy paste a password from another database where you do know the password. Copy pasting the password-field should be enough.

Good luck, Jeffrey

• John Seto 37 posts 98 karma points
    Nov 24, 2015 @ 08:07
    John Seto

Thanks Jeffrey, I reset the password but it still didn't work then I checked the logs and found the only account (admin) was locked.

I didn't think this was possible,

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Nov 24, 2015 @ 08:38
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi John,

that is possible. I think an account is locked after 10 invalid password attempts. In the same table you have to set the columns 'userDisabled' and 'userNoConsole' to 0.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft