Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sangeeta Parekh 3 posts 73 karma points
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 10:32
    Sangeeta Parekh

"Umbraco not installed" after database backup

Hi all,

Our company website is hosted from MS Azure, and uses Umbraco. On Friday I was asked to create a backup of all website files, as we have some new developers in.

I downloaded all website files from FTP.

To back up the database, I connected to the Umbraco database from MS SQL Server management studio, right clicked the database, chose Tasks, and then Export Data-Tier Application.

After the export, the website is not loading, and we are seeing the error:

"Umbraco 5 Install Umbraco 5.2 Welcome to Umbraco 5

It looks like Umbraco isn't installed yet - click here to launch the install wizard. Umbraco 5.2 runs on ASP.NET MVC3. This is a standard MVC-powered page included as a demo of how your MVC application can serve pages alongside those managed by Umbraco CMS.

To learn more about ASP.NET MVC visit http://asp.net/mvc."

If I click on install Umbraco 5.2, I get an error saying it couldn't find some files:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The view 'Index' or its master was not found or no view engine supports the searched locations. The following locations were searched: ~/Areas/Install/Views/Install/Index.cshtml ~/Areas/Install/Views/Install/Index.vbhtml ~/Areas/Install/Views/Shared/Index.cshtml

However I definitely copied all files across from FTP.

I am completely new to this, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    Nov 03, 2015 @ 07:32
    John Palmer

Hi Sangeeta,

It is quite weird. Have you take chance to ask Azure team to backup it for you?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Nov 03, 2015 @ 08:21
    Douglas Robar

This sounds like very odd behaviour indeed unless some files were altered, removed, or file permissions changed. Which shouldn't be the case from what you describe, but the behaviour you experience is exactly that. In particular, it would seem that the web.config file has been altered in some way (the database connection string and/or umbraco version settings come to mind as potential changes). Or possibly the database is no longer connected/running/available after the export?

Also, is your site really running Umbraco 5? That version was killed after it was found to be unreliable. Not that this issue is v5 related but let me recommend that you move on from v5 at your earliest convenience for stability, performance, feature, usability and support reasons.

cheers,
    doug.

Nov 03, 2015 @ 09:08
    Sangeeta Parekh

Hi guys,

So after A LOT of googling, I managed to figure out this occurred because Umbraco could not connect to the SQL database.

I found a website that suggested using MS Web Matrix, which I downloaded and installed, and then connected to our Azure account.

I found a Logs folder in AppData, within which I saw "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'umdb_user'."

Before exporting the database, I had to reset the password, as it had never been documented.

I attempted to update the Web.config file with the new password, but there was no reference to the "UmbracoDbDSN", I even looked in a couple of the other .config files, but no luck.

In the end, I tried my luck at changing the password back to what I hoped the old one was, and lucky for me, the first one I tried of the company's old generic password list worked.

After the password was changed back to the old one, the website was back up.

I ideally wanted the new password to be used, but am struggling to find which file UmbracoDbDSN connection details are in.

I'm just glad it's resolved, 2 days later!

Nov 03, 2015 @ 09:10
    Sangeeta Parekh

By the way, can anyone advise on steps to upgrade the Umbraco version, when hosted on Azure?

Thanks in advance.

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    Nov 04, 2015 @ 03:36
    John Palmer

Hi Sangeeta,

Please take a look at https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/upgrading-to-v7

I would recommend you to backup your files and database first. So, if there is mistake or problem in upgrade, then you can revert it back.

Good luck

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12134 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Nov 04, 2015 @ 08:23
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Sangeeta,

There is no upgrade from version 5 to later versions.

The best option is to recreate your site in a newer version, because v5 has been cancelled shortly after it's release.

Dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft