Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Roddis 57 posts 241 karma points
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 12:01
    Dan Roddis

Umbraco performance debugging / profiling tips

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any established information on profiling and debugging performance issues in Umbraco.

We're running on Azure using a basic DB and standard (s1) hosted app and we're suffering intermittent bouts of very poor performance.

I'm trying to debug this using the logs (in debug mode) but trying to follow a given request seems impossible, just looking at the process ID and thread ID doesn't seem to be enough to see a single, unique request start to end.

Could anyone share any pointers and or advice - I'll be more than happy to collate this information and create a resource for other people to find in future.

Thanks, Dan

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 12:40
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 13:19
    Dan Roddis

Thanks Mike - appreciate the responses very helpful thank you.

I'm going to try and collate this information and my findings into some blog / help posts for others to determine where there are bottlenecks in the environment and be able to identify these using Umbraco as I think while we have various tools to help us we're missing useful community resources on how to interpret them.

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 14:00
    Mike Chambers

nps...

also http://newrelic.com/ for an enterprise approach :-)

• James Strugnell 84 posts 192 karma points
    Jan 18, 2016 @ 14:42
    James Strugnell

@Dan, interested to know if you did compile your findings into anything? We have the same trouble of not being able to troubleshoot Azure sites very easily.

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2016 @ 15:44
    Dan Roddis

Hi James,

Unfortunately nothing conclusive - the majority of our problems seemed to be caused by slow filesystem storage, when we moved the umbracoCache and indexes to local temp we noticed a performance improvement on everything except startup (which should be fixed in 7.3.5) and it's back at reasonable levels again for us now.

Our next step is looking at offloading the media library into alternative storage and/or on a CDN but it's not a trivial task so it's some way down the roadmap for now.

• James Strugnell 84 posts 192 karma points
    Jan 18, 2016 @ 16:02
    James Strugnell

Hi Dan,

We've just moved the Umbraco Cache to local temp storage (we thought we'd already done it but an erroneous space in our app setting config meant we actually hadn't - d'oh!). So I'm pleased to hear that resulted in a perf improvement for you. We did it more because we'd seen locking on the umbraco.config file when it was stored centrally.

We've already implemented the FileSystemProvider for the Media library and are using the Azure CDN. There's a bit to get your head around but it's definitely worth looking at.

By the way, what are the changes coming in 7.3.5? I do find startup a bit slow so am intrigued buy what you've said...

Cheers, James.

Jan 18, 2016 @ 16:38
    Dan Roddis

Hi James,

When we start we can be waiting 5-10 minutes before the site is accessible again.

Apparently it's caused by this issue and it's spending a lot of time needlessly rebuilding indexes - but fixed in 7.3.5

Hope this helps!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft