Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 20, 2015 @ 08:31
    Dan Diplo

Xml Cache Data integrity check in 7.3.0 - what is it and why does the "fix" throw an exception?

I've just updated a site from Umbraco 7.2.8 to 7.3.1. All went well and the site appears to be running fine. However, in 7.3.x a new Developer dashboard was added called Xml Cache Data integrity:

"This checks the data integrity for the xml structures for content, media and members that are stored in the cmsContentXml table. This does not check the data integrity of the xml cache file, only the xml structures stored in the database used to create the xml cache file."

However, the report tells me that the "Content in the cmsContentXml table" is corrupt and requires fixing. However, when I click the "Fix" button Umbraco throws a null reference exception:

Failed to retrieve data integrity status

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

EXCEPTION DETAILS:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    STACKTRACE:

at Umbraco.Core.Services.UserService.GetProfileById(Int32 id)
       at Umbraco.Core.Services.EntityXmlSerializer.Serialize(IContentService contentService, IDataTypeService dataTypeService, IUserService userService, IContent content, Boolean deep)
       at Umbraco.Core.Services.ContentService.<RebuildXmlStructures>b__47(IContent content)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.ContentRepository.<>c__DisplayClass3b.<RebuildXmlStructuresProcessQuery>b__37(IContent descendant)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.<>c__DisplayClass12`3.<CombineSelectors>b__11(TSource x)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()
       at System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.ContentRepository.RebuildXmlStructuresProcessQuery(Func`2 serializer, IQuery`1 query, Transaction tr, Int32 pageSize)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.ContentRepository.RebuildXmlStructures(Func`2 serializer, Int32 groupSize, IEnumerable`1 contentTypeIds)
       at Umbraco.Core.Services.ContentService.RebuildXmlStructures(Int32[] contentTypeIds)
       at Umbraco.Web.WebServices.XmlDataIntegrityController.FixContentXmlTable()
       at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.Execute(Object instance, Object[] arguments)
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<ExecuteActionFilterAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Filters.AuthorizationFilterAttribute.<ExecuteAuthorizationFilterAsyncCore>d__2.MoveNext()
       at System.Web.Http.Dispatcher.HttpControllerDispatcher.<SendAsync>d__1.MoveNext()

So I'd like to know:

• What is this XML cache "corruption" that it is trying to fix?

• Why is running the "fix" not working?

• How big an issue is this, given the site otherwise appears to be working fine?

Nov 20, 2015 @ 09:06
    Dan Diplo

OK, after a lot of digging around in the Umbraco DB I think I might have gotten to the bottom of this. I found there was a node in the database that was "corrupt".

In the umbracoNode table there is a column called nodeUser and on this node it was set to '4' - referencing a user ID that didn't exist in the umbracoUser table (I think they'd been deleted). This had "corrupted" the node and I think it was also what was causing the exception - Umbraco appeared to be looking up this User and not being able to find it it threw a wobbly!

I updated the nodeUser value to the ID of a user that existed and this fixed it.

• Dan Roddis 57 posts 241 karma points
    Dec 03, 2015 @ 09:06
    Dan Roddis

Thanks for updating this, and not meaning to hijack the thread because I think your original question still stands.

With this now being exposed it would be interesting to get more information on why the cache can be corrupt, what the impact is of this (I don't perceive any impact?) and if it is capable of correcting itself.

We're noticing these buttons stating fix several times per day with regular editors working in the back-end.

Dec 08, 2015 @ 08:32
    Dan Diplo

I agree with Dan - it would be useful to get answers to these questions.

I've noticed one of the sites I've upgraded to 7.3.1 often reports the XML Cache as being corrupt, but have no idea how serious this is or what impact it may have. I'm sure someone must know!

• Carl Bussema 38 posts 140 karma points
    Jan 13, 2016 @ 15:00
    Carl Bussema

I'm seeing this too, on 7.3.4, and I still haven't seen any answers to the questions:

1. What is the impact of the "Content in the cmsContentXml table... Error" if left untreated?
    2. What causes this to be in an error state?
    3. What does "Fix" do, and how long does it take? I tried running it, and while it didn't throw an exception, after several hours, it didn't seem to have done anything but was still running.
  • Simon steed 374 posts 686 karma points
    Jan 15, 2016 @ 13:46
    Simon steed

Following - I asked this a while ago but got no answer. We've a site go live this week on 7.3.0 which has major issues with corrupt cache and examine indexes getting out of sync very quickly.

Very concerning that a feature like this is introduced with no explanation as to what it does or why it's there!

• John Moss 14 posts 94 karma points
    Jun 26, 2018 @ 15:38
    John Moss

Simon, we have had similar issues with examine index. Did you ever find a solution?

Jun 27, 2018 @ 07:57
    Simon steed

I did manage to fix it, however I can't 100% remember what I did. I seem to recall it was some member records in the content table causing it which I deleted as where ghosted, been fine ever since.

• John Moss 14 posts 94 karma points
    Jun 27, 2018 @ 17:44
    John Moss

Thanks Simon. We aren't using members, but we think some other data is corrupted. We will look through it.

Appreciate you following up.

Jun 28, 2018 @ 11:18
    Simon steed

No worries, frustrating as hell I know. I do know I downloaded the source, compiled, dropped the files into the bin folder so I could trace through, that led to finding roughly where to look from where I then fixed it.

Long winded but only way to do it unfortunately.

Good luck!

• Mayank 14 posts 44 karma points
    Jan 18, 2016 @ 09:51
    Mayank

We have a site running on 7.3.4 which we have recently upgraded from 7.1.8.

It shows to Fix Content & Media in cmsContent Table.

We got error when clicked on the "Fix" button.

Would like to know what has gone wrong & what does the button actually do?

Error Details :

Failed to retrieve data integrity status

This SqlTransaction has completed; it is no longer usable.

EXCEPTION DETAILS:

System.InvalidOperationException: This SqlTransaction has completed; it is no longer usable. STACKTRACE:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlTransaction.ZombieCheck() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlTransaction.Rollback() at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.CleanupTransaction() at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.AbortTransaction() at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Transaction.Dispose() at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.ContentRepository.RebuildXmlStructures(Func2 serializer, Int32 groupSize, IEnumerable1 contentTypeIds) at Umbraco.Core.Services.ContentService.RebuildXmlStructures(Int32[] contentTypeIds) at Umbraco.Web.WebServices.XmlDataIntegrityController.FixContentXmlTable() at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] ) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>cDisplayClass10.9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken) --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.

• Dan Roddis 57 posts 241 karma points
    Jan 19, 2016 @ 12:44
    Dan Roddis

I did some digging into this and it looks like it's checking the content services against the raw database and comparing the number of published nodes.

Unless they are equal it shows 'Fix'. Fixing will rebuild the XML stored in the database for all documents.

I'm not sure what the practical impact of it being broken is yet.

Jan 19, 2016 @ 13:19
    Dan Diplo

Thanks, Dan.

It still raises a few questions though...

Why does it happen? It seems to occur via normal Umbraco usage.

What bad things can happen when it's corrupt, if any?

If it is essential for the smooth running of Umbraco should it just be run automatically (say on application start or on a schedule)?

• Sebastien Lambla 1 post 71 karma points
    Jan 19, 2016 @ 23:22
    Sebastien Lambla

I've had this problem when adding some document types programatically. The API lets you do stuff that the rest of the system considers invalid. It doesn't cause any problem in generating from the content to the cache, but when looking at what "valid" is, such as when exporting things for a package, it blew up for me, due to a NRE too.

I've not seen that behavior doco'd anywhere, so I'm not sure what fields were not what they should've been, and don't remember how I fixed it, but thought I'd share, just in case. :)

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Jan 20, 2016 @ 08:53
    Stephen

OK, let's try to explain.

Technically, what the Xml Data Cache integrity does is:

• content: ensure that there are as many published items (as reported by ContentService) as content rows in table cmsContentXml
    • media: ensure that there as as many items (as reported by MediaService) as media rows in table cmsContentXml
    • member: ensure that there are as many members (as reported by MemberService) as member rows in table cmsContentXml

When it reports that there is an error for "content" and exposes the "fix" button and you click that button... the content rows in cmsContentXml are rebuilt entirely by loading each content item and serializing it again to Xml.

As the OP (Dan) noted, this may fail if, for some reason, a node cannot be serialized properly. In Dan's case, the umbracoNode table was referencing a user in umbracoUser table and that user was not existing anymore. What happens then is that the failing nodes will not be in cmsContentXml, and therefore will not be loaded into the in-memory Xml cache. In other words, they are not treated as "published".

So the consequence of an error for "content in the cmsContentXml table" is: some nodes that you think are published will not show in the in-memory Xml cache and will appear "unpublished". Whether that has a strong, or small, practical impact on your site... probably depends on your site.

Also note that, however, as long as the in-memory Xml cache has not been forcefully reloaded from database, it all lives on top of the umbraco.config file, which can contain nodes that are not in the database anymore.

What would cause such situations?

Inconsistencies in Umbraco's API, I'm afraid. In Dan's example... why would a content reference a non-existing user? Probably because, somewhere, a constraint is missing plus the API does not handle that situation properly.

Should you fix?

Would consider it a good idea on a healthy site.

But what if it fails?

If you have a lot of content, rebuilding may take time. A lot of time. Make sure it is not crashing in the background. Also, look at Umbraco's log for Exception traces that could help point you to the root of the problem.

Thinking of it, the Exception message could (and probably should) at least report the ID of the content item that is causing the Exception--so you'd know where to start from.

But unfortunately... you're entering the debugging zone, really.

It did not use to be like this!

Indeed. In the past, we all thought that the Xml cache was always consistent. Because there was no way to check. So... that integrity controller can be considered a "fail fast" approach. An error there does not mean that new issues were introduced: only, now, you know about the old issues.

Making sense?

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 13:51
    Martin Griffiths

I have been having problems with the cache integrity "fix" from version-to-version.

Our 7.3.0 build would periodically tell me content in the cmsContentXml table was in error and "fix".

Since upgrading to 7.3.8 I cannot get the "fix" to work. It cycles around for a bit and then ....Error.

I cannot find anything in the logs to indicate why this is happening.

Can anyone help, or indicate any further problem its likely to cause.

M.

Mar 18, 2016 @ 14:30
    Simon steed

Same here - I built a 7.3.0 site then upgraded to 7.36 then 7.3.8. I too cannot get around the 'fix' content issue, constantly shows the red error

Best you will get advice wise i'm guessing will be to download the source and step through it - we've done that and it was painful but still didn't find what we needed to :(

Hopefully someone will have the magic answer :)

Mar 18, 2016 @ 14:43
    Dan Diplo

Same here - upgraded to 7.3.8 and always get this error on cmsContentXml and fix never works. Sounds like it needs to be reported as an issue. Anyone know whether this works in 7.4.x ?

Mar 18, 2016 @ 14:46
    Simon steed

Not tried it yet on 7.4.x but not sure I want to upgrade as not overly keen with the new features. Need to work my way into 7.4 land :-)

Mar 18, 2016 @ 14:48
    Martin Griffiths

Yea, I'm not going to venture into 7.4 until the next minor patch release....still too many bugs in 7.4.1 to consider it.

M.

• Arjan H. 221 posts 457 karma points c-trib
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 13:52
    Arjan H.

I was also seeing this issue on a 7.4.2 configuration. The XML data integrity report kept saying the cmsContentXml table had errors, but running the Fix didn't change anything. There were no errors reported in the Umbraco logs while running the fix.

I was also having trouble emptying the recycle bin, so I used the following SQL statement (found here, but tweaked a little to work on 7.x) to empty the recycle bin manually:

DECLARE @nodeId int

DECLARE node_cursor CURSOR FOR 
    SELECT Id
    FROM umbracoNode
    WHERE ParentId = -20

OPEN node_cursor;

FETCH NEXT FROM node_cursor 
    INTO @nodeId;

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
    BEGIN
        print @nodeId

delete from [dbo].cmsDocument where nodeId = @nodeId
        delete from [dbo].cmsContentXml where nodeId = @nodeId
        delete from [dbo].cmsPreviewXml where nodeId = @nodeId
        delete from [dbo].cmsPropertyData where contentNodeId = @nodeId
        delete from [dbo].cmsContentVersion where ContentId = @nodeId
        delete from [dbo].cmsContent where nodeId = @nodeId
        delete from [dbo].umbracoUser2NodePermission where nodeId = @nodeId
        delete from [dbo].umbracoNode where id = @nodeId

FETCH NEXT FROM node_cursor 
        INTO @nodeId
    END
    CLOSE node_cursor;
    DEALLOCATE node_cursor;

After emptying the recycle bin using this SQL statement, the XML data integrity report was no longer reporting any errors on the cmsContentXml table.

Apr 06, 2016 @ 16:30
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Arjan

I used this SQL, I extended the table a little further, to ensure everything was eradicated. Annoyingly in my 7.3.8 build dbo.UmbracoAccess and dbo.UmbracoAccessRule seem to have foreign keys which prevent dbo.UmbracoNode from clearing down. So I set the them to cascade and the SQL completed.

I got me an empty and useable recycle bin again, but it didn't fix the cmsContentXml cache error. The fix button continues to fail too.

Martin

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5269 karma points MVP 2x
    May 03, 2016 @ 09:14
    Shannon Deminick

Hi all ... firstly note that there are many comments on here with various problems so it's a bit difficult to answer everything concisely. I'll start with a few important points:

• If you find a bug put it on the tracker with steps to reproduce and maybe even how to fix it if you know. If you don't do this, the bug will continue to exists because the details in threads like this will be lost in the abyss
    • So from the above, we know there are at least 3 bugs:
      • Something about the recycle bin not being able to be emptied from @Arjan - so please if you have issue details, please put this on the tracker
      • Something that @martin has found with something to do with the umbracoAccess tables which I don't think is related to this topic but again ... please put this info on the tracker
      • A null reference exception which actually is related to the original topic here regarding serializing content - @Dan - can you please log this issue on the tracker?

Ok, on the the details of this topic, here are some facts:

• Since the dawn of time (around Umbraco version 2), the way the xml cache file is generated is based on the content found in cmsContentXml. The data in this table is populated when content is published, the content item is serialized to xml. This is how the xml gets into the cache file
    • Since version 7.3, we added a dashboard (http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6673) to verify that the content in the xml file matches the content in the cmsContentXml (i.e. data integrity). This is to bubble up any existing problems... this didn't cause any of the problems
    • 7.4.3 is one of the most stable versions ever released - you should upgrade now. There are 493 issues resolved since 7.3.0. Of those issues, 349 are resolved in 7.4.x! The upgrade process is seamless, 7.4 is much nicer to work with ... so not sure what you're waiting for. I would strongly advise upgrading because the chances are that your issues are fixed - or at least some causes to those issues.
    May 03, 2016 @ 11:46
    Dan Diplo

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the info. Speaking personally I do normally log issues - but in the original case I think it was down to deleting stuff from the database manually, which I wasn't sure was an Umbraco issue as such.

Regarding why people hold-off upgrading - I can't speak for everyone, but generally a new major release of Umbraco does tend to (understandably) have some issues. I think 7.40 had quite a few breaking issues (hence why we are at 7.4.3). So people tend to wait until they are really sure it's stable - in a commercial setting you have to be cautious. Also, where I work we have around 50 Umbraco installations, and upgrading them all is a lot of work.

May 03, 2016 @ 11:54
    Shannon Deminick

Yup i totally understand with the hesitancy to upgrade - this is based on many previous 'minor' versions being far too major. This is something that is changing now. We will be releasing true 'minor' versions and they will be release much more often with smaller changes. 7.4 has a few breaking changes but if you read through them, they are all very minor and should affect very few people. That said, some people here are using older 7.3.x versions even though there are numerous fixes between even those versions. I have yet to hear from anyone who has been affected by the 'breaking changes' listed for 7.4. Currently there is actually no plans to release any more 7.4.x versions, the next version out will be 7.5 unless some critical issues arise.

May 03, 2016 @ 12:02
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Shannon

Thanks for the info. I do indeed post up bugs if I think I can report it without it ending up terribly vague or unrepeatable.

As Dan mentioned, i'll hold off upgrades keeping a close eye on the bugfix list. With 7.4.x I wasn't satisfied with the build until 7.4.3. So i'm in the process of running the upgrades now.

I've upgraded our main project from 4.0.4.2 all of the way up to (currently) 7.3.4 and I suppose it's inevitable that the schema would get a little mixed up in the journey, but using the recommendations in this thread, I have a working recycle bin again! It would be difficult for me to express this as a "bug" in the schema as I have no idea how the schema changes are carried over from version to version. Short of providing you with my schema as DB backup.

The second issue I have is the fix button continually failing despite fixing the schema. I cannot generate any errors in the process failing though. Nothing appears in the logs. So i'm unsure what to do next, otherwise I would've posted it as bug.

Martin

May 03, 2016 @ 12:18
    Shannon Deminick

Glad to hear that one of your issues is fixed, that's good. What happens when you click the fix button? If nothing is logged try turning debug logging on to see if that gives you any info, and check your JS console/chrome network tab to see if you can see the error result there. There's a good chance the UI hasn't taken into account what would happen if there is an error so it might just seem like it's waiting when there's actually an error.

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Nov 02, 2016 @ 14:26
    Stefan Kip

I was getting the error "The Xml cache is corrupt. Use the Health Check data integrity dashboard to fix it" after upgrading from umbraco 7.1.8 to 7.5.4.

Clearing the recycle bin with the above SQL script fixed the issue (Fix button on the Data integrity dashboard didn't help).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft