Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve 140 posts 321 karma points
    Nov 22, 2015 @ 04:14
    Steve

Changed to Debug=false and got .NET Framework Exception

Hi,
    Yes, as the title says I changed the debug setting in web.config to false and received an error unseen by me until this point, with a debugger window opening stating:"An unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception occured in w3wp.exe[4036]". The site is completely inaccessible - completely unresponsive. Changing the debug setting in the config file back to true does not resolve.
    Site is on a VM so have been able to restore and replicate several times isolating the error down to the event of changing this setting in the config file - which I would like to do to troubleshoot caching of a user control macro, which I understand needs the debug mode set to false (but please if I'm not correct there perhaps someone could help me there, too!).
    Has anyone seen anything like this before?
    Thanks - Steve

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Nov 22, 2015 @ 15:06
    gary

Hi Steve

Don't know if this will help, but . . .

Brand new VS2015, Windows 10, on a blank machine.

Downloaded some tools, from Visual Studio, basically for code analysis / debugging, when installed VS failed to open anything due to a .net error.

It would appear that there still exists incompatibility issues with some "tools" on .net 4.5 and above. Changing your config could invoke something of this nature. (My thoughts are that one of my schemas or configs was changed due to the install)

Long and short of mine was it destroyed the .net framework and the only fix was to re-install Windows to repair it.

Will be checking and double-checking in the future.

Regards

Gary

• Steve 140 posts 321 karma points
    Nov 24, 2015 @ 19:17
    Steve

Gary,
    Thanks for the insight. I was able to keep the project going by simply copying and renaming it, then setting up a new site in IIS manager. Site runs and no .NET Framework errors (yet!) but would be interested to know more about where the issue lies.
    Steve

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Nov 24, 2015 @ 19:28
    gary

Hi Steve

The point that interests me most is that you "copied" the project, new IIS and it runs.

There is something different in the way the projects are set up in VS2015, the constant app restarts etc, but it all seems to be in files that are "outside" of the project.

I was concerned about it, but it was stopping me developing, so in essence I have ignored it, just hoping it wont slap me in the face at some point.

If I come across anything useful will let you know.

Just as an aside - have made all my project files, temp files etc, excluded from Avast monitoring, this has reduced some of the issues, but it is not a cure for all.

Regards

Gary

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft