Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damon 217 posts 288 karma points
    Nov 27, 2015 @ 16:39
    Damon

Best practice way to install next version of packages?

Hi,

what is the way to install the next version of a package?

When you have a particular version installed it is shown in installed packages. If you install the new version both appears in installed packages. When this is the case will this cause issues? Will the newer version automatically be used?

If you uninstall the old version and then install the new version, can this cause issues? Is this the best way to do it?

It is Archetype I am thinking off here which has its own data types?

Can anyone advise here?

Thanks a lot!

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 29, 2015 @ 21:25
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Damon,

I think it´s different to say something general how to upgrade packages that you are using in Umbraco.

Some have specific upgrade documentation that you can follow this could be for Umbraco CMS it self e.g https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/ or e.g Umbraco Forms https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Add-ons/UmbracoForms/Installation/Upgrade

For the Archetype package I have found a similar topic on the forum, so you have these options of upgrade the package.

1) Copy over the /App_Plugins/Archetype folder and update the /bin with the new DLL

2) Uninstall the old Archetype package and Install the new package via the Umbraco Package Manager

3) Use Nuget update-package archetype (preferred method)

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7103 karma points c-trib
    Nov 29, 2015 @ 22:14
    Nicholas Westby

I think you only see duplicate packages if you install a package that has changed its name (e.g., this can happen if the package includes the version number in its name). In the case of Archetype, I think the name is always "Archetype", so you should be fine installing the new version on top of the old version.

Umbraco will even keep track that you have installed multiple versions (you can get info on the versions by clicking on the package in the developer section under "Installed Packages").

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft