Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ed Parry 64 posts 252 karma points c-trib
    Dec 01, 2015 @ 10:31
    Ed Parry

Umbraco 7.3 Azure Web App load balancing (geographical locations and syncing)

We're looking to upgrade some sites to take advantage of the new load balancing work in 7.3, specifically for Azure Web Apps. We currently have a single SQL Server database and Web App. Am I correct in saying that to get load balancing to work here we would need a second Web App to be the primary server from which to always access /umbraco?

If that's the case, how are any other servers aware of changes made on this server - new content/media for example? This was always the issue we had prior to 7.3.

Also, does it matter if, for example, our primary Web App is hosted in US East, but our secondary Web App is hosted in North Europe? Are there any problems with that, or is it a case of as long as the database is accessible from both it would work fine?

Thanks in advanced!

• mscommunities 40 posts 95 karma points
    Dec 03, 2015 @ 09:11
    mscommunities

I stumbled upon this link yesterday, https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/load-balancing/flexible

They made changes to load balancing as of 7.3.0.

I am in the process of setting up a separate backoffice instance also but I am pretty sure as long as they share the same db, it all works out.

Dec 03, 2015 @ 09:12
    Ed Parry

Yes, I've also seen that documentation and it makes sense to follow it, I was just hoping for some sort of confirmation from someone that has previously successfully managed this that all content and media is nicely synced between all front-end Web Apps. I know the cache and Examine indexes are all local to a machine now, I just couldn't see any syncing method in place at this point.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Dec 03, 2015 @ 13:46
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Ed,

You can use the new flexible loadbalacning in 7.3. You don't need to configure anything.

But all instances should point to the same database.

I would also recommend putting your media in Azure blob storage. There are several providers available for that. And maybe it's wise to have a CDN in place for all your regions

For example this one : https://our.umbraco.org/projects/collaboration/umbracofilesystemprovidersazure/

You can read some information about setting it up over here : https://github.com/kgiszewski/LearnUmbraco7/tree/master/Chapter%2020%20-%20Azure

Especially read the part about configuring ImageProcessor to work with Azure blob storage.

Dave

Dec 03, 2015 @ 13:57
    Ed Parry

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your response.

Would Umbraco 7.3 load balance correctly without putting media into blob storage?

So just to confirm - two Web Apps, one for /umbraco/ access, the other for front-end. And then the front-end one can be auto scaled by Azure without problems, and content/media is all synced automatically?

Thanks again!

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Dec 03, 2015 @ 13:58
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Ed,

Haven't tried that approach. We always use the blob storage.

dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft