Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lian 1 post 71 karma points
    Dec 02, 2015 @ 09:43
    Lian

Umbraco 7.3.1 returning code 404

Hello,

I am currently developing a website using Umbraco 7.3.1, I have run into an issue that doesn’t seem possible.

My content tree consists on a main landing page with children displaying through rendering a partial view. The main landing page is at root level. This is sat at the same level as my homepage which is also set up in a similar way with children rendering in through partial views.

When navigating to the landing page through the menu on the home page everything works with no errors however when I add a new content child to the landing page and save and publish the landing page I was just viewing displays an error 404. The 404 error also displays on all the other pages if I navigate to them directly.

The only way I can get to view any of the landing pages is by returning to the homepage (which doesn’t seem to break) and using the navigation. I have checked the UmbracoTraceLog and I can see that the new content is being published, 3 seconds later it then displays Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Lian

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Dec 02, 2015 @ 10:40
    gary

Hi Lian

The umbraco web module 404 is not something that is an issue for you, it's an internal process.

Your problems stem from the tree.

You must have a root node, a homepage which is a child of the root node. You can have additional nodes at the homepage level, but not at the root.

If you change the structure on the doctype you can move the nodes without having to rework anything.

Once you have that structure your 404's should go away.

Regards

Gary

• Ajay Karwal 31 posts 149 karma points
    Dec 16, 2015 @ 22:38
    Ajay Karwal

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue on a 7.3.3 install.

Getting thousands of these warnings and site is constantly crashing.

This is my content structure. Is these something wrong with this?

enter image description here

• Per 14 posts 99 karma points
    Feb 15, 2016 @ 10:08
    Per

Hello Gary

I have a structure like this - is this wrong? My site has been running fine for a long time but with 7.3.1 the site eventually stops working (i.e. return 404 for all pages). Before the site stops working the UmbracoTraceLog.txt is filled with the above error described by Lian, i.e. Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over

Only way to (temporarily) resolve it is by restarting the Application Pool.

enter image description here

• ay 5 posts 74 karma points
    Mar 14, 2016 @ 04:38
    ay

We have also the same : "Status code is 404 yet TrySkipIisCustomErrors is false - IIS will take over." hundreds of times in our logs after upgrading from 7.2.8 to 7.4.1.

Has someone found some workaround?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft