Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• SinkyPars 132 posts 175 karma points
    Dec 07, 2015 @ 13:36
    SinkyPars

Index Rebuilding too often - takes a long time.

Hello,

I have noticed that every time I do a deploy to our clients server, the entire index rebuilds itself and takes a long time. This essentially means our clients site it out of action, normally for at least 45 mins.

I think this is happening because the Web.Config file gets updated or other config files such as /Config/umbracoSettings.config get updated.

Is there anyway around not building the index every time?

Thanks,

Scott

• Kevin Jump 2309 posts 14673 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Dec 07, 2015 @ 14:01
    Kevin Jump

Hi

in the examinesettings.config you can set you can set RebuildOnAppStart="false" this should stop the index rebuilding when the site restarts

see docs : https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Config/ExamineSettings/

set it like this

<Examine RebuildOnAppStart="false">

Dec 07, 2015 @ 14:22
    SinkyPars

Hi Kevin,

I used the "default" file however now I am getting the following error:

enter image description here

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Dec 07, 2015 @ 14:40
    Kevin Jump

hi

looking at it i don't think the format of the default in the documentation is right*

on a local site i don't have the configuration / configsections bit, that is probably meant for the web.config (but it will be there already so don't change that!!).

I would be inclined to say go back to your previous version and just add the RebuildOnAppStart bit to the Examine tag.

*Edit: the documentation shows all settings like they are in web.config. in reality these are in two files (ExamineSettings.config and ExamineIndexes.config) you are best just changing what you have rather than coping this file. - documentation could be a bit clearer for that mind :)

Kevin

Dec 07, 2015 @ 14:41
    SinkyPars

Sorry, I get you now Kevin. This has speed things up greatly!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Can you think of any problems this may cause?

Cheers,

Scott

Dec 07, 2015 @ 14:47
    Kevin Jump

Hi

It's possible your indexes could become out of sync or just generally not optimized over time.

You could maybe schedule something in to rebuild the indexes once a week/overnight/at a low impact time. this post might let you do that (i haven't tried this personally)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft