Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John Holland 4 posts 74 karma points
    Dec 07, 2015 @ 22:05
    John Holland

Deleted nodes not showing in Recycle Bin, need to restore

Hi,

I have Umbraco version 7.2.5 installed on Azure and my client has just accidentally a large part of his site. The node had around 100 nodes under it and I am looking to restore it, but it is not showing in the Recycle Bin.

My db doesn't appear to have been backed up by Azure, so I am wondering if there is a way to restore this? It still shows up in the search, but trying to open it gives me a missing error.

Would really appreciate any help, as it is urgent.

Thanks in advance,

John

Dec 07, 2015 @ 23:12
    John Holland

Anyone got any ideas? Please help.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7103 karma points c-trib
    Dec 07, 2015 @ 23:15
    Nicholas Westby

Perhaps an ancestor of the nodes in question is in the recycle bin?

Dec 07, 2015 @ 23:32
    John Holland

I think there may be, what do you suggest?

Dec 07, 2015 @ 23:49
    Nicholas Westby

Is the problem that you are unsure which of the nodes may be the ancestor of the nodes you are interested in?

If the recycle bin does not have much in it, you could just restore all the nodes one by one until you find the right one (you restore by moving the node into the content tree).

Alternatively, you could get the ID of one of the child nodes and do some database queries to find the ancestor.

Dec 07, 2015 @ 23:57
    John Holland

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for replying.

The problem is that none of the pages are showing in the Recycle Bin, the parent page isn't showing and the pages below it were under a list view. The recycle bin just has old files and not this one.

The pages appear when I do a search but I get an error saying they were not found. I know the id of the parent, but can't do anything with it (I don't think).

I just want to restore them all, I can see that they are there somewhere, but I can't access them.

Why wouldn't they have gone into the recycle bin?

Thanks again,

John

Dec 08, 2015 @ 00:13
    Nicholas Westby

I believe content nodes that have been deleted may show up in the search, but clicking on them will fail to navigate to them (that's more of a guess, so I could be wrong, but I feel like I've seen this behavior before).

That implies they are in the recycle bin. You may not be able to see them in the recycle bin because they are nested under an ancestor node and that ancestor node is the one that would appear in the recycle bin.

Another possibility is that the only reason it is showing up when you search is that your Examine indexes are out of date and contain references to old nodes. You can confirm this by going to the developer section under the "Examine" tab (can't remember the exact name of the tab) and rebuilding all of the indexes. If this is the issue, the next time you search the node should not show up. Of course, that also would mean that your data is gone.

By the way, I'm not sure if Umbraco actually deletes all the data for deleted nodes. You might want to do some database queries to see if the deleted node still exists. If so, perhaps you can restore it with some manual database queries.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft