Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nelson 94 posts 246 karma points
    Dec 10, 2015 @ 06:17
    Nelson

Content disappears

Hi guys, I've been working with Umbraco for almost 2 months, and the last couple of days I've been experiencing some weird behavior from Umbraco. When I open Umbraco the next day, I notices that my content disappears, all the content including document types, templates, the proper content in the content tab... I also noticed that in WebMatrix I can find the templates I've worked, but they are not showing up in the Umbraco backoffice.

Any explanation for why this is happening?Any solution to this problem?

Thanks!

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 10, 2015 @ 09:43
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Nelson,

Which type of database are you using for your Umbraco website?

/Dennis

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Dec 10, 2015 @ 12:45
    gary

Hi Nelson

Have experienced this myself. It's random, can't pin down why or how it happens, but can fix it.

In Web Matrix, navigate to App_Data/umbraco.config.

Open the file, my guess is that it is in Chinese characters in a single line, in other words corrupt. On the settings (sorry not familiar with Web Matrix), change the encoding to UTF-8.

You can try a CTRL+Z when in the file to see if it reverts, but if it doesn't don't worry, delete the line, close everything, browser, Web Matrix and whatever IIS if you need to. (If using IISExpress closing Web Matrix is sufficient). Effectively recycling the app pool, this is just easier than any other method I have found)

Open up Web Matrix again, check your umbraco.config file and it should be back to "normal". Just check again the encoding, both in the settings and on the top of the document.

You will have lost the content you added since it went to chinese, but doctypes etc will remain. I currently leave this document open and check it now and again. If it does go wonky, a CTRL+Z will bring it back, then republish all your recent content and it's all ok.

Any questions, please ask.

Hope it helps

Gary

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft