Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tommy Enger 72 posts 277 karma points c-trib
    Dec 10, 2015 @ 16:15
    Tommy Enger

Best practises for deployment

My first Umbraco site is ready for launch tomorrow. I feel quite confident, but you know the feeling

I found this guide https://our.umbraco.org/wiki/recommendations/recommended-reading-for-it-administrators/best-practices-for-live-deployment Guess it's a bit outdated (IE. I cant find any umbracoDebugMode setting?) but still some valid points.

Some additional steps that I should go through?

Any settings I should consider to change in terms of caching? Do you usually turn on any additional caching like IIS Output cache?

What about log4net settings? Do you limit it to just errors?

The guide above mentions "restrict access to the /umbraco folder in IIS to just the IP addresses of the company" which would be nice. But this will probably affect all my APIs at http://mysite/umbraco/api/.... right?

Cheers

Apr 01, 2016 @ 07:57
    Tommy Enger

Since I didn't find any, I created my own: https://github.com/engern/Umbraco-Deployment-Checklist/

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6445 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 09:00
    Dennis Adolfi

Awsome Tommy, thank you for that. We´ve used the "best practice for live deployment" link you posted as a reference when we deploy our Umbraco sites, and your checklist will be a great complement!

A few other things we like to do that you might (or not) want to add:

• Disable Version Check. I know this is not a "must do", and yes it could sometimes be good to notify the client that there is a new version of Umbraco avalible, but most of our clients just find the notification annoying, and we as developers always know when there is newer versions out to upgrade to.
    • Macro errors inline/silent. Just a reminder to not leave the Macro Errors in /Umbraco/Config to throw.
    • Google Webmaster Tools. We always register our sites to Google Webmaster tools for several reasons, but mostly because you can tell google to reindex your site quicker after a release.
    • Sitemap. There is nothing about sitemaps in your checklist.
    • Google PageSpeed Insights: We always check and try to improve the score for our sites on: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Again, thank you for a great checklist!! :) Have a good day!

Apr 01, 2016 @ 09:35
    Tommy Enger

Thanks Dennis :) I will update the list with your feedback shortly

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6445 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 09:39
    Dennis Adolfi

Awsome, thank you!! :)

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 11:34
    Alex Skrypnyk

Wow Tommy, great check list, thanks!

• Tom van Enckevort 107 posts 429 karma points
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 12:58
    Tom van Enckevort

Great list!

Another thing you might want to add is to check that all images inserted from the Media library onto a page use the relevant GetCropUrl method to make sure a crop/resized image gets served.

That way if an editor uploads a 4MB JPEG image and uses it on a page it will serve the optimised image, not the full sized original image.

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Nov 09, 2016 @ 18:23
    MuirisOG

Hi Tommy

I've just seen your check list and it is excellent.

I've got one for setting up an Umbraco site, and now that I'm getting close to deployment, I needed this list to help me set up a live environment.

However, and sorry about this, I have some questions which I hope you can help with:

• Files and images

Verify that files and images can be uploaded to the site - Do you mean after a deployment using Courier, for example?

• Scheduled tasks

Verify that schedule tasks are running - Do you know which jobs Umbraco runs, or is this just a general check to make sure scheduled tasks are running?

• web.config

Verify all paths

Search for ":\" and "\" in all config files and check that all paths are correct - Can you explain this a bit more?

• Back office

And finally, as our live site won't allow users to log in to the back office, is it okay to remove the umbraco folder entirely?

Nov 09, 2016 @ 21:28
    Tommy Enger

Glad that you found the list useful.

• Files and images: Upload some files to the media library in Umbraco backoffice, just to make sure read/write permissions on the new server is correct.
    • Scheduled tasks: If you have added custom scheduled tasks in your solution, just verify in the Umbraco log files that they run without errors
    • Verify all paths: Check that all paths to the local disk and/or network shares are correct. Umbraco has some (i.e. log files, search index files, media folder etc.) and you probably have some custom ones. In my dev and test environment I usually just keep them in the default APP_DATA folder, but in production I usually want them on a separate drive like D:/LOGS, D:/SEARCHINDEX, D:/MEDIA

When it comes to deleting the entire Umbraco folder I actually dont know if thats possible. My guess would be no, but someone else can probably give you the correct answer :)

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Nov 10, 2016 @ 10:49
    MuirisOG

Many thanks Tommy

I know I can rename the Umbraco folder and point to the new name in one of the config files, but I'm not sure if it can be deleted.

I'll dig a bit deeper...

Muiris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft