Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• emma burstow 43 posts 251 karma points MVP 3x hq c-trib
    Dec 15, 2015 @ 10:22
    emma burstow

On the hunt for tips

Hi all,

I'm very new to Umbraco and having just completed the Level 1 Masterclass I've found myself a job managing and developing the websites the company has in Umbraco.

But... I have a huge problem. I am having to drill down into what he's done, all of his logic and then edit the things the client is asking for - e.g. a dropdown menu. To further complicate matters, the site is based on html written by a third person and imported in.

I think what I'm asking for is an approach. How should I begin looking at his work and editing each thing? The menu isn't collapsing correctly when it's being viewed on smaller screens.

Thanks to all in advance. I think this might be a bit too general to get an answer but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Emma

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Dec 15, 2015 @ 19:24
    gary

Hi Emma

That's sometimes harder than starting from nothing!

Without knowing the size of each site, or the complexity it's not so easy to give a real positive answer, but on a headline level, if you could do the following, or part of it, it may help.

If you can copy the template, remove the Html, and serve it as an alternative template, you can get the Umbraco part and content working. So check that your foreach loops work, displaying the text images etc that you want.

From there, add the Html back in a section at a time, this will start to build a picture for you of how the guy arrived at the end result, hopefully.

Bite size pieces are better in this instance. Once you have the complete template, if it is not the exact same, it doesn't really matter as long as it displays the same. People have different methods, but if you have to maintain it, better a way that you can easily relate to.

As for the menu not collapsing at small screen sizes, it is probably a missing media query or the collapse not being entered in the correct place. Have experienced this myself and it took a while to sort out.

If you need some help, post the code, and we can see what we can achieve.

Hope it helps a bit.

Good luck

Gary

• emma burstow 43 posts 251 karma points MVP 3x hq c-trib
    Dec 16, 2015 @ 08:19
    emma burstow

Hi Gary,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm going to take that advice this morning and work through. Slowly. I would have liked to start fro scratch. It's harder to debug than it is to build. Especially when it's someone else's stuff!

Once I can fathom where the code is, if I can't manage it by myself, I'll ask the good folks here.

Thanks again!

Emma

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft