Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    Dec 15, 2015 @ 15:17
    Mark

"Login failed for user" Issue - on two separate sites

Version 7.3.1

Two weeks ago, using the master admin account (created when Umbraco is installed) failed to log in. I went and looked in the umbracoUser table and found that the userNoConsole column was set to True. I reset it to False, then I was able to login again.

Today, on a completely separate site, I have had the exact same problem.

I'm not aware that I've done anything to change this setting. Other users can't see my account in the User section. So, how can this be happening? Is it a known issue?

Also, what does the userNoConsole column mean? I assume it means the user cannot access the CMS with that user account, but I suppose it could also mean that the user shouldn't show up in the User's section. Clarification would be appreciated.

• Jason 122 posts 637 karma points
    Dec 15, 2015 @ 15:50
    Jason

If I am not mistaken this flag gets set after a number of failed login attempts. I did a quick Google search and came up with a few helpful posts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=userNoConsole&oq=userNoConsole&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&safe=off&q=umbraco+userNoConsole

You might be getting hit by a bot or someone trying to log in and failing. Have a look at the logs and see if you can see anything.

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    Dec 15, 2015 @ 15:58
    Mark

Okay, but the table also showed the following in both cases:

failedLoginAttempts = 0 lastLockoutDate = NULL

I'd expect these to be different.

Plus, it's odd that it's happened on the same Umbraco version, on two separate sites, on two separate web servers / IP addresses.

In any case, I'll try changing the username for now. If it happens again, I'll post here. Will be interesting to see if anyone else reports this.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft