Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jedidiah Hodson 4 posts 84 karma points
    Dec 22, 2015 @ 09:35
    Jedidiah Hodson

Can't use Richtext Editor

Hi all, I have recently begun using Umbraco as a CMS for my business but I have run into a problem regarding the Richtext Editor.

I have been changing some config files around so that I can use any HTML tag on my site (as according to this). However now I cant use the RTE. When I create a new element on a page, I can select the RTE and place it but can type into it.

I think its because I deleted and recreated the Richtext Editor Datatype in the developer section and by doing that I created a new ID that's not assigned to the RTE. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I have looked through some configs but haven't found anything that assigns the RTE to its datatype.

I have only begun using Umbraco in the past week and seems to be great if I can fix this issue.

Thanks in advance, Jed Hodson

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Dec 22, 2015 @ 09:59
    gary

Hi Jed

If you have changed the datatype of RTE, you will need to change every instance of the RTE on the document type.

Depending upon what you are using that may or may not work.

If for example your RTE is in the grid, it will probably not work.

The alternative is to delete the original RTE and rename the new RTE the same as the original, that way it should get called.

Please appreciate that without being able to see all of the information it is more difficult to give a simple answer.

Hope that it can give you some ideas

Regards

Gary

• Jedidiah Hodson 4 posts 84 karma points
    Dec 24, 2015 @ 02:31
    Jedidiah Hodson

Thanks Gary,

I changed the name back and restored settings and it seems to be working now. Is there a reason why the Richtext Editor datatype wont reflect changes on the grid datatypes. To add or change buttons on the RTE I had to go into the grid datatypes and modify there RTEs.

Jed

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Dec 24, 2015 @ 08:18
    gary

Hi Jed

Happy you got it working.

There is a reason, will try to explain.

If you create a new doctype in Umbraco, add the datatype of RTE you are free customize it as you wish. You can create a property on your template by calling @CurrentPage.YourPropertyName. That is how Umbraco is straight out of the box.

The grid datatype is an extension, or if you like an alternative way to use Umbraco. Put in simple terms, the grid wraps the whole of the doctypes within a structure which means the calls to the template are different as each of the individual datatypes are of the the grid datatype type. As far as I understand it uses a controller to render all the content within it, so you would have to amend that to make changes.

If you have a look at "creating custom datatypes" you will see a fuller description. Archetype is another variant as is Sir Trevor Editor.

Hope that helps rather than confuses. If you have any more questions, will do my best to help.

Regards

Gary

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft