Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rapid 3 posts 73 karma points
    Dec 23, 2015 @ 11:08
    Rapid

Content is not up to date

we are facing a problem with our content. Right after we publish e.g. the content of a page it is visible and correct. But after some time it is somehow reverted to a previous version of the content.

Has it something to do with caching? I don't understand why my content is set back though I published the latest version ...

• Dan Roddis 57 posts 241 karma points
    Dec 23, 2015 @ 11:28
    Dan Roddis

Our editors have complained about this which I was attributing to user error as there is nothing in the audit history / rollback to indicate it ever changed.

Could you supply more information regarding your setup and we can see if we have any similarity?

We're using Umbraco 7.3.4 hosted on Azure.

Dec 23, 2015 @ 11:37
    Rapid

We are using version 7.3.3 and are hosting it currently on a VM on our own server.

First I also thought it's caused be an user error. But a tried it myself several times. Currently I don't know when it really happens. Today I saw that after some minutes it was reverted to a previous versions. Some days ago we noticed it on the following day.

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Dec 23, 2015 @ 15:21
    gary

Hi Guys

Maybe I can shed some light.

The issue is never reported as in fact it corrects itself, but as you are aware it corrects itself to the point at which the issue occurred.

It is cache, it is in umbraco.config.

Having suffered a lot with this problem, it suddenly seems to have gone away. No idea what causes it, but it is odd.

For some reason the encryption on umbraco.config gets changed from utf-8 to unicode. or utf-16, this produces a file full of Chinese characters. At this point you cannot write to it, however, everything you create in terms of content, docTypes etc stays perfectly until the end of the session. Upon ending the session, the effect of opening back up, rebuilds all of the xml, hence it rebuilds it to its previous state, without the content you added from the change point to the end of the session.

All I can suggest is that you monitor umbraco.config. If it goes to Chinese, hit CTRL+Z, turns it back to normal, then resave + publish your work and it will hold it. I have found that if you correct the encryption, in both the properties (if using VS) and at the top of the document, it does seem to "cure" it.

At one point I was checking after every save to see if I could pinpoint exactly what was causing it, but, could not find anything definitive.

This probably doesn't help that much, but hopefully does make it a bit clearer as to what is actually happening.

If I can help anymore, please let me know.

Regards

Gary

Windows 10, VS2015 Community, on local machine, IIS Express.

Dec 23, 2015 @ 16:33
    Dan Roddis

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the insight - this would contradict some of my understanding how Umbraco handles cache.

I always assumed when making a change in the back-end it's added to the database and then the cache is updated.

If the cache were to be invalidated it can rebuild it from the database.

This would suggest that it's possible to write changes to the cache and not to the database? Is that right?

Apologies if my understanding is incorrect - I'm no Umbraco expert :)

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Dec 23, 2015 @ 17:29
    gary

Hi Dan

Certainly would not claim to be an Umbraco expert.

If I can remember correctly, my findings will agree with your thoughts on the workings of the Umbraco cache.

For example, if you look at your lost content, all the uploaded media, if throught he front end is still there - so in the database. I believe that all of the content I had entered, was in fact in the database.

But, the doctype is held at the top of Umbraco.config, along with all of the properties, so to pull the content back from the database, the property must exist. As it hasn't been written to the config, it does not get rebuilt into the cache.

If you could query the database and bring back the GUID for the lost doctype, create one identical you could carry on as if nothing happened. Or write the config in a code first approach, I'm positive that you could retrieve everything.

It's sort of chicken and egg, create the doctype property in cache (and database simultaneously), enter the content (cache + database), the config brings it together. So, if you remove the config, you have nothing connecting the doctype property to the content in the database, other than the GUID, which is held in the database but does not exist in the config.

However if you delete the umbraco.config, it does get rebuilt. So it is a contradiction to the above. But does it get recreated on the basis that it did once exist as a complete relationship?

Regards

Gary

Jan 12, 2016 @ 12:39
    Rapid

We are still facing the problem mentioned above. The proposed solutions didn't improve our situation. Does somebody maybe have another idea what can cause our troubles our how we could solve them?

Jan 12, 2016 @ 13:27
    Dan Roddis

I can't actually reproduce it on demand and we've not had an issue for the last couple of weeks so I can't help further - if I manage to get it into a readily reproducible state or notice anything common I'll make sure to post my findings.

That being said I was suspicious it could be related to the I'm wondering if this could be related to the cache instruction table in Umbraco 7.3.0 and upwards not being configured correctly.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft