Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John C Scott 473 posts 1183 karma points
    Dec 30, 2015 @ 12:31
    John C Scott

Data Disapearing

Having a very strange issue.

I have a new 7.3.4 site (with Usync, nuPickers, CMS Import, Archetpype) which I'm using with TFS in Visual Studio, and this is using a SQL CE4 file based database (it is ultimately a POC to be migrated to Azure).

I have imported some data from an XML file. This has imported fine.

I have uSync set to manual and am Exporting before committing to TFS. I have not run an import.

I do not have the Umbraco.sdf file in the repo.

Everything was built with nuget (Umbraco-Cms, nuPickers, CMS Import, Archetype ) and in the Visual Studio Project & TFS repo I only have \AppPlugins \Config\ \uSync\ \Views

I am the only person pushing to the TFS repo (by using Check-In in Visual Studio from the Solution)

So what is very odd...

Each day I have run CMS Import and added a whole bunch of nodes.

When I come back the next day the new nodes are gone. Also the changes to the DocTypes are gone to.

I thought something was odd about uSync but the definition had all the tabs and properties in the config file and when I export again it used the old one.

I'm running the project from inside Visual Studio.

It's as if the somehow the database is just reverting to what I had in the morning when I close Visual Studio at the end of the day.

Could this be my TFS checkin? Not sure what on earth could be causing any of this. Any ideas out there?

I've managed to reliably reproduce the issue now.

When I close Visual Studio and open it again all the data I have added is gone every time. What on earth could cause this?!

• Joshua Stewart 36 posts 128 karma points c-trib
    Dec 30, 2015 @ 16:15
    Joshua Stewart

This is a known issue with using SQL CE - http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4621

Long thread on the issue:

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/49713-Losing-data-on-server-restart

It appears the combination of IIS Express and SQL CE is the reason. There is likely a connection being held open and the transactions never get fully committed. I would recommended either using a full IIS website with SQL CE - or even better - move to a full MS SQL database.

Dec 30, 2015 @ 16:18
    John C Scott

Brilliant thank you Joshua.

Happy to know that my next step (halfway through) to see if I could replicate the problem by installing full IIS8.5 is actually the answer :) Very much appreciated, thank you.

• Joshua Stewart 36 posts 128 karma points c-trib
    Dec 30, 2015 @ 16:19
    Joshua Stewart

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. Have a great New Year.

Dec 30, 2015 @ 16:24
    John C Scott

Reading the issues I can see now exactly when it started for me. I was experimenting with the Umbraco Console project which must have created a second connection to the database. It's after that it all went a bit wobbly. Going to investigate now how to migrate from SQL CE to full SQL. As I've a feeling this problem will continue if I keep using the Console app.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft