Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ben Norman 167 posts 276 karma points
    Dec 31, 2015 @ 12:48
    Ben Norman

Integrating An Application into Umbraco

http://24days.in/umbraco/2015/integrating-an-application-into-umbraco-(using-ninject)/

Interesting Article. Thanks for taking the time to put that together Darren.

I have an application that has 10K appointment records and each of them are assigned to different users. The system is a single organisation system currently and is not integrated with umbraco. I want to turn it into a multi user system that is "integrated" into umbraco so I can take advantage of the members and content management mainly in the short term.

Its not hard to write crud apps for the few tables in the db but I don't want to if I can "integrate" with umbraco.

What if your page requires data from both the cms and the service layer? Do you ever write ViewModels that combine the two or do you keep the views as separate as you have. For example, a list of items that you retrieve from the service which have fields that are references to cms data. How do you combine the 2 data sources and then render generally?

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Dec 31, 2015 @ 13:57
    Darren Ferguson

Hey Ben,

I'm not quite clear what a "single organisation" system means - but I think you mean that one company can organise appointments - and that you'd like multiple companies to be able to take appointments - and maybe multiple appointment "portals" for each company could be displayed using Umbraco? Am I right? :)

The first question I'd ask is - how are the appointment records created and maintained - and how are they queried? Are they content or application data.

Assuming that they are application data you need to write and test the CRUD operations in a service layer regardless. I'd make that your first step (and make sure that you can run and test these operations in isolation of Umbraco).

The next step is obviously and editor experience for that application data - and the obvious answer would be a custom Umbraco section - though sometimes a separate MVC app works well too.

The stand out sentence for me in your post is:

"a list of items that you retrieve from the service which have fields that are references to cms data"

Could you give an example of how your appointment records may access content in Umbraco? I'd aspire for decoupling in my application design - and the approach to this would vary case by case!

I need a bit more detail to give a considered information on using Umbraco members - how do you plan to utilise them?

Disclaimer - I keep on hearing about Tim's UI-O-Matic package - I haven't had the chance to take a look yet.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft