Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tomasz 10 posts 101 karma points
    Jan 04, 2016 @ 19:13
    Tomasz

How much Umbraco is ASP.net MVC?

Hi! I am new to Umbraco, reading and playing with it in my free time for about a month, already watched all videos on Umbraco.tv, read a couple of tutorials in web. I am wondering, how much Umbraco is good for developers? I want to create website with many custom features, so need easily extendable product. Umbraco has very nice editing area with Document Types - this is what I love about it and I knew the power of such solution from my previous Drupal experience.

But... Can I use Umbraco having in mind that it is normal ASP.net MVC project? I know there are SurfaceControllers, but I can also declare "asp core" controllers. But it is a good practice?

For now I am thinking about creating member area - login, register, edit profile, show profile. I see two solutions - one is creating all these pages through Umbraco GUI as Document Types and placing them under the content tree. But I'd prefer not to put them there, because that will be pages that I won't edit often, so I do not need access to them from backoffice. It just creates chaos in my Content Structure. So... should I use ASP.net controllers and custom routing to do such things?

• Phill 115 posts 288 karma points
    Jan 04, 2016 @ 21:47
    Phill

Hi Tomasz,

I'm not sure what other types of customization you want to do, but if you're main area is around "users/members" then you definitely want to look at the built in support for "members" within Umbraco. This leverages the .Net membership system, has some basic forms for login, etc already and easy to customize (if you try to create a partial view in admin you'll see there are existing snippets for login, register, status). Members live in their own section in the backend and not under the content tree.

I personally haven't done much customization of the backend as it hasn't been needed for any of my projects but I've done a number of custom controllers and "content finders" for use in displaying custom content trees.

Hope that helps a bit. Phill

Jan 04, 2016 @ 22:31
    Tomasz

Hi! I know there are snippets, but if I want to use it, create a page with registration I need to create page under "content". Am I right? Because if I want to use partial view, I have to display it in template file. But to display data from template file, I have to create some content using it. I hope it is clear what is on my mind :D

In the future I want to write some plugins gathering data from game about the player, livestream lists and features, tournament systems and more. I have much of them working right now, but in php using Drupal.

• Shane 13 posts 96 karma points
    Jan 05, 2016 @ 16:10
    Shane

Hi Tomasz,

You don't 'need' to create everything under the content section. Umbraco is still a .Net MVC application so you could register your own routes in the OnApplicationStarted event e.g.

routes.MapRoute(
                "accountregister",
                "Account/Register/",
                new { controller = "Account", action = "Register" }
            );

Then create a standard MVC controller which handles the request and serves your partial view.

Shane

Jan 05, 2016 @ 22:11
    Tomasz

Ok, so this is what I saw as one of the answers. I was not sure if it is good practice in Umbraco. Thanks for making my mind clear :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft