Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nelson 94 posts 246 karma points
    Jan 05, 2016 @ 07:25
    Nelson

Deploy Local Website to Host Server

Hi guys,

I've been working with Umbraco to create my first website. So far I almost completed the framework of my website and now I'm thinking about how to move it to my server. My idea is to upload my website when the framework is ready, and then create the contents remotely. I'm updating an existing webiste, which means that the host server already hosts one website, which I have to replace to the one I'm creating with Umbraco. How can I do the deploy of the website? Have to install umbraco at the host server? What about the Database? I will use the database of the host server. I want to upload my new website, but still keep the old one in case something goes wrong. Please keep in mind that i'm a total newbie at this and have never uploaded any web site. Would really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance, have a great day!

• Enrico 47 posts 252 karma points
    Jan 05, 2016 @ 09:25
    Enrico

Hi Nelson,

if you are using Visual Studio to work on your Umbraco project, you need to publish the website to a local folder on your machine and with your ftp client upload it to your live server. If you are using SQL Server as database engine, remember that you also need to back up you database, upload it via ftp to your live server and import it. You need also change the connection string in your string in order to use your provider settings.

Very important: back up your old website and database in order to perfom a rollback in case of trouble

There a lot of variables in the process, depending on the you work and the differences between your machine and the live server

Good luck

Enrico

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft