Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brett Spencer 88 posts 259 karma points
    Jan 05, 2016 @ 20:19
    Brett Spencer

Where did my content go?

Caching maybe?

My site DriveSRM.com is running v 7.2 right now (can't upgrade because of the new version of mvc - another issue for another time.)

I have to consistently, at least daily, go into the back-end and republish the entire website because my content in certain places keeps disappearing.

My headers and the content on the entire page of Features just disappears. Upon republishing it comes back... but only for a short while.

The content is from different pages and different document types with no relation to each other so I am baffled at the possibility of why.

Any ideas? Questions to get me thinking in the right direction?

• Joshua Stewart 36 posts 128 karma points c-trib
    Jan 05, 2016 @ 20:47
    Joshua Stewart

Some questions to help isolate what may be happening:

1) What database is your site running on - SQL CE or MSSQL?

2) Are there any errors in the umbraco log located at App_Data\Logs\UmbracoTraceLog.txt ?

3) When you republish are you republishing the entire site from the Content node or are you republishing the entire site from the Home node and specifying all children?

Jan 06, 2016 @ 16:25
    Brett Spencer

Joshua, thanks for the reply and solid questions.

1. Its a MSSQL database running on the same server.

2. Good call on checking the log. There is a consistant error running almost on the minute... see below - I don't understand what it means yet...

3. I usually republish the whole site from the Content node but have done both as a test.

Log entry (error):

2016-01-06 08:05:09,403 [7] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [P5988/T1/D2] Failed (at "http://drivesrm.com:80/umbraco"). System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 68.177.108.73:80 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult, TransportContext& context) at System.Net.Http.HttpClientHandler.GetRequestStreamCallback(IAsyncResult ar) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.

Other than the obvious, Not Able To Connect, I don't understand the implications here. This site is running on a Prod server that is running in VM. We also have a Stage site in the same cluster of servers. The Stage site is not having this issue.

What is it trying to connect to and why? What is this "ScheduledPublishing" and is that the reason I am losing content?

Jan 06, 2016 @ 20:06
    Brett Spencer

I started some research on that error... According to the updated information, I should't be seeing this in my version.

So I have started some testing based on that info...

When I recycle the Application Pool on IIS 7, my content disappears!

Jan 07, 2016 @ 15:22
    Brett Spencer

Update:

I have been watching the logs and found an UnauthorizedAccessException.

Our network team failed to inform me of the server going down. Somehow, somewhere, when they brought it back online. My Application Pool lost its security rights to the whole website directory.

Upon fixing this and doing a test app pool refresh, my content stayed. So far so good.

BUT the Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing error is still firing on the minute.

We'll see if this has fixed the missing content issue after some time has passed.

• Joshua Stewart 36 posts 128 karma points c-trib
    Jan 08, 2016 @ 23:47
    Joshua Stewart

I'm glad you were able to track down the source.

The scheduled publishing error is a known bug in 7.2. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to upgrade Umbraco, which I know you said you are unable to do because of the newer MVC version.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft