Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bear 11 posts 61 karma points
    Jan 08, 2016 @ 09:09
    Bear

#AskUmbraco : MultiTenancy vs Single Site

I'd like to ask gather some pros and cons about multi tenanted sites in Umbraco.

I'd like to know what issues you've faced, for example, did you have issues with searching? How was your site structured? What was your "Oh God. I've created a monster..." moment?

Multi Tenancy (Single Umbraco Instance, Multiple Sites)

Pros

Single instance for editors to be concerned with, single login required

Works well for multiple visually similar sites

Can share templates / settings / media across all sites

Cons

Single Database, so is a single point of failure and cannot be changed easily without affecting all sites (i.e. can’t take one down, leave another up)

Harder to implement unique functionality for individual sites (i.e. custom functionality may affect multiple sites)

Bigger technical debt (i.e. writing extra code to deal with multiple instances rather than single)

Harder to create distinct look and feel across individual sites

Harder to move (i.e. transferring to another server, ALL sites have to be transferred)

Single Tenancy (Single Umbraco Instance, Single Site)

Pros

Easier to create distinct look and feel

Easier to move, single instance / DB, (i.e. transferring to another server)

Less technical debt (don’t have to worry about multiple sites, only one set of templates)

Cons

Can’t share settings / media across multiple sites, (have to upload twice, once on each site)

Have to log in to two CMS instances

What are the pros & cons for this either of these approaches?

What some good questions/issues to raise with the client to preempt which approach might be best ?

Really, I'm interested in problems, practice and theory... not code.

• Poornima Nayar 106 posts 276 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 08, 2016 @ 10:58
    Poornima Nayar

I have seen both instances and each has its own pros and cons as you said.

Multi tenancy 1) If you are looking at multi-lingual check whether the client wants folder structures /en-gb/ , /en-us/ so on or multiple domains 2) If you are to upgrade umbraco you have to do it only once

With single tenancy are you expecting a single codebase for multiple databases or codebase per database.

If its single codebase flowing changes to multiple sites can be quite a manual process. You will have to have documents; SQL scripts to figure out doc type changes and so on , run it against each database and perform the changes, Also you have to maintain a good idea of what version each site is own. Umbraco upgrade can be tedious in this case.

If its a codebase per database then you are looking at standalone implementations which are really independent of each other. I think you have captured the pros and cons there. You can just maintain it like any other site you have

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft