Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hal Hunt 7 posts 28 karma points
    Jan 13, 2016 @ 06:49
    Hal Hunt

Changes not being saved in version 7.4 :-(

Is anyone else having issues with changes not being saved in version 7.4? I have recreated properties on document types and reentered content for those types multiple times. The next time I open Visual Studio and start working again all the changes I made aren't there. It's like I never made them. I haven't ever seen any error messages indicating things aren't being saved. I have lost hours of work multiple times.

I'm using Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise with Update 1, IIS Express and SQLCE. I have read where similar combinations of these tools have experienced this problem in the past but it looks like to minimize this happening "Flush Interval=1" was added to the SQLDB connection string which certainly exists in my web.config.

Please help! This is very frustrating. Thanks in advance.

Jan 13, 2016 @ 19:57
    Hal Hunt

Is anyone using 7.4? Is this the right forum to post questions about BETA versions? Thanks in advance!

Jan 27, 2016 @ 20:23
    Hal Hunt

Wow this is so frustrating! Does this help? I see this in my logs:

2016-01-27 11:21:21,929 [P9228/D2/T1] WARN Umbraco.Core.Sync.DatabaseServerMessenger - No last synced Id found, this generally means this is a new server/install. The server will rebuild its caches and indexes and then adjust it's last synced id to the latest found in the database and will start maintaining cache updates based on that id

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 22:40
    Nicholas Westby

I was having the same problem with Umbraco 7.3.5 and SQL Server CE. I had to create the homepage node about 5 times before it "stuck". And I was experiencing some other weirdness (e.g., a composition showed up as an option for a node to be created at the root even though I confirmed it did not have "allow at root" selected).

Not sure what the cause is, but I've definitely seen this myself.

You can see the commits in this repo where I mentioned repeatedly that Umbraco was deleting my content (the database is stored in the repo): https://github.com/Nicholas-Westby/ditto-resolver-invoke-error

Jan 27, 2016 @ 23:15
    Hal Hunt

Thanks for the feedback Nicholas.

I have been watching the file date/time stamp on my umbraco.sdf file. Sometimes I can add, change, and remove content, document types, and data types, etc. and the date/time stamp doesn't change on the database. There is definitely an issue with flushing those changes to the file system. Just today I've made numerous changes and the database file date/time stamp hasn't changed in almost 40 minutes. The worst part about it is that it's not consistent as far as I can tell. Not fun to try and repro/debug :-( Even the logs in the my app_data/logs folder that I have looked at don't have any errors that would indicate a failure.

reallyfrustedwithumbraco

Jan 28, 2016 @ 04:53
    Nicholas Westby

Just to throw out a random idea even though this seems like a very major bug that should be fixed...

I was having issues with my content being deleted repeatedly, but then I connected to the database with SQL CE Toolbox and ran some queries. After that, my saves seemed to work. I'm wondering if the extra connection forced some cache flush operation.

Jan 28, 2016 @ 05:13
    Nicholas Westby

FYI, I linked to this thread from a really old Umbraco bug: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4621

Seems like it's not getting a lot of attention, as people seem to be chalking this up to SQL Server CE caching issues or interference from other applications.

I think the more plausible cause is an unclosed SQL transaction (as mentioned by Funka here).

Jan 29, 2016 @ 18:47
    Hal Hunt

Thanks again for all the info Nicholas.

I have been shutting down all my browser instances which is typically two, one to the Umbraco frontend, and one to the Umbraco backend, rebuilding my solution in Visual Studio 2015, and then re-logging in and out of the Umbraco backend. That SEEMS to force a flush.

I am really concerned that once this website goes into production (which is next week) and my client tries to change content and it sometimes saves and sometimes doesn't will certainly not make them happy. It won't matter if it's a problem with the CMS platform, I recommended the platform to them so they will blame me.

BTW I've been a developer for 20+ years so if anyone on the Umbraco team would like my assistance in trying to debug this on my development box I would be more than happy to help.

Jan 29, 2016 @ 19:45
    Nicholas Westby

I would never recommend SQL Server CE on a production system. I would recommend migrating it to SQL Server Express.

I suspect the core team will not help you troubleshoot this, but you are welcome to try to get their attention. That YouTrack issue would be a good place to do so. I believe they also have a Twitter account or two.

Jan 31, 2016 @ 21:09
    Hal Hunt

Hmm...that's good to know Nicholas. I wasn't aware that using Umbraco's "out of the box" storage repository (i.e. SQLCE) wasn't recommended for production. Is that just your opinion or is that actually documented somewhere?

At this point we are planning on continuing to use Azure for web hosting and if my memory serves me correctly you can't use any version of SQL Server Express or LocalDB for that matter in an Azure Web app running in an Azure App Service. Perhaps that has changed.

Again thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Jan 31, 2016 @ 21:32
    Nicholas Westby

It is just my opinion, but that may or may not be reflected somewhere in official documentation. The problem with SQL Server CE is that it isn't scalable. It's not built to handle lots of simultaneous connections and it isn't as robust as SQL Server (e.g., no stored procedures).

I suspect the only reason it's the default option when installing Umbraco is to make the barrier to entry easier to overcome for people new to Umbraco. In that sense, SQL Server CE is a good choice as there are no credentials to manage and no SQL knowledge is necessary to get up and running.

If you are using Azure, I'd recommend SQL Azure, though that has its own issues (e.g., a retry policy is necessary for queries that periodically fail). I think the newest versions of Umbraco are supposed to work well with SQL Azure though.

I believe there are automated ways of moving between storage mediums, but if you have a small site I'd recommend just recreating it from scratch. Your code won't have to change; just the doctypes/content/etc.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft