Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• osblues 12 posts 83 karma points
    Jan 18, 2016 @ 15:33
    osblues

Single domain multilingual - partial translation

Hi, I'm currently adding a Mandarin translation to an existing Umbraco 7 site and wanted to get a few pointers on things.

Firstly, all content will be translated but only to a certain point in the node tree. Essentially, it's a retail site and all content will be translated up to and including product categories, but individual product pages will not be translated. Does anyone have any experience of doing this kind of thing and have any pointers? Can I keep the user on the "cn" site, but grab the content from the English version or do they have to get directed back to the English version at this stage? (how would I go about directing them back out for links on those pages?)

(Note: The URLs are in the format domain.co.uk/cn/whatevernode for the translated version)

Secondly, we have quite a few node pickers setup within the existing site (for nav, features etc.), which are now causing a few issues with the "cn" version. I was expecting the navigation, for example to automatically work relative to the "cn" node, but instead as it has nodes picked which are decendants of the original root, it gives links to the English version instead. I've got around this by making the navigation logic check if the page being linked to has the same "homepage" ancestor as the page we're viewing, then use the relationservice to grab the translated version URL if it doesn't. Does this seem sensible or should any picked nodes by picked again in the "cn" version so they point to the "cn" version nodes?

I hope that makes sense, if not, please shout.

Many thanks in advance

Adam

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft