Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim 15 posts 75 karma points
    Jan 18, 2016 @ 17:49
    Tim

403 Error on Preview

We have our site with Umbraco 7 deployed to a server. Whenever we try to Preview content in the back office, we get a 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. What permission do we need to grant to what account to enable Preview access?

• Samira 113 posts 452 karma points
    Jan 19, 2016 @ 04:46
  • Gavin Semple 21 posts 93 karma points
    Apr 05, 2016 @ 06:52
    Gavin Semple

I am having the same issue as Tim. Previewing a page works fine on my local machine, however on the live version I am getting a "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied" error when trying to preview any page.

I have looked at the link provided by Samira above but I fail to see how it relates to this problem.

I have also made sure write permissions have been set on the "App_Data" folder and the "preview" folder within it but the error remains.

• Manjunatha Govindappa 20 posts 119 karma points
    May 10, 2016 @ 09:50
    Manjunatha Govindappa

From IIS add index.htm and index.html to default documents list, issue will be solved

• blackhawk 313 posts 1368 karma points
    Mar 17, 2017 @ 16:11
    blackhawk

Index.htm and index.html was already on my default document list. Simply enabling default documents from IIS solved the 403 issue for me when previewing pages.

Using IIS10 on Windows 10

• Rik Hodiamont 11 posts 31 karma points
    Jan 10, 2017 @ 13:29
    Rik Hodiamont

I am having the same issues. Index.html and index.htm is in the default document list. Any other idea how to fix this?

I changed index.html to default.aspx so I could exclude the problem of directory listing. When changing to file to default.aspx it still doesn't work. Seems IIS somehow blocks the directory listing on the umbraco/preview/ directory.

• Rik Hodiamont 11 posts 31 karma points
    Jan 24, 2017 @ 12:19
    Rik Hodiamont

I fixed the issue by creating a rewrite rule in the web.config:

<rewrite>
            <rules>
                <rule name="Preview voor Umbraco">
                    <match url="^umbraco/preview/" />
                     <conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAny">
                        <add input="{QUERY_STRING}" pattern="^id=(.*)" />                       
                    </conditions>
                    <action type="Rewrite" url="umbraco/preview/index.html" appendQueryString="true" />
                </rule>
            </rules>
        </rewrite>

• M N 125 posts 212 karma points
    Dec 14, 2018 @ 18:16
    M N

Hi Rik,

I have been battling the Preview functionality as well. It hasn't worked for a while on all our sites. I've tried your rewrite, but that just changes the error to a 404.

Any thoughts?

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Apr 03, 2019 @ 11:32
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

Try removing the "Preview" folder, from your "/Umbraco" directory on live.

Umbraco HQ removed this folder, and placed the new preview templates in the Umbraco/Views folder.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft