Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee 35 posts 84 karma points
    Jan 21, 2016 @ 14:55
    Lee

Node protection equality

Greetings. Right-clicking a Content node reveals a 'Public access' item, which is exactly what I need. The content node I am protecting contains links to Media nodes, which also need to be protected--not security by obscurity, but actual protection, just like 'Public access' offers for Content nodes. Why don't Media nodes have this same basic 'Public access' functionality in Umbraco? Content and Media are both nodes. Protecting two types of nodes can't be that different. The work is already done, right?

Further, I'm finding that content managers naturally assume that the Media nodes linked in a protected Content node are protected--though they are not. This seems to be a defect in Umbraco. At a bare minimum, content managers should be made aware that only the content "page" is protected--until they use the missing feature to protect Media nodes linked on a protected Content node.

I've seen that the standard response to anything like my issue is: Buy Media Protect. I'm all for buying a good Umbraco package, if it is one that adds specialized functionality to Umbraco. I'm quite annoyed at the prospect of buying a package, for every client of our agency (hosted on different servers), to compensate for a lack of basic functionality in a mature CMS.

I didn't have to buy, install, and configure "Content Protect," which is a node protector, and nodes need protection--including Media nodes.

[UPDATE:] I saw the big news that Umbraco turned 11 years old. Wow, an 11-year-old CMS that can't protect a media node. This should be embarrassing.

, Lee

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft