Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul de Quant 403 posts 1520 karma points
    Jan 26, 2016 @ 08:26
    Paul de Quant

Umbraco Update Notifications

Hello,

Is there a way to be notified of when a new build of Umbraco is released or an important update?

Ideally it would be some sort of email alert system - either in the site itself to say something along the lines your are using version 7.1 and 7.5 is now available please upgrade or something to tell you when plugins/projects have been updated.

Does such a system exist?

Thanks

Paul

• Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13631 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 26, 2016 @ 08:57
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Paul,

The @umbracoproject Twitter account does exactly that. Also follow the blog on umbraco.com.

Jeavon

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 26, 2016 @ 09:11
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Paul,

You can also subscribe to our newsletter, where you also get such kinds of information. You can signup for the newsletter here. https://umbraco.com/newsletter

/Dennis

Jan 26, 2016 @ 09:14
    Paul de Quant

Thanks Guys, although I was thinking more along an individual site audit. To say you have this installed on your current Umbraco build of which the following items are out of date.

Does this make sense. A service like this for Drupal - https://lumturio.com/

Jan 26, 2016 @ 09:17
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Paul,

It's an interesting package idea but I don't think it exists. I would use NuGet to check for updates myself but that doesn't help if you're not a Visual Studio user.

Jeavon

Jan 26, 2016 @ 09:26
    Paul de Quant

We look after multiple Umbraco sites and it would be good to get notified on which ones need updating.

From a programmatical point of view is it possible to get the current Umbraco version number in c#

Thanks

Paul

Jan 26, 2016 @ 09:28
    Jeavon Leopold

Sure, you can get it from appsettings

ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["umbracoConfigurationStatus"]

Jan 26, 2016 @ 09:40
    Paul de Quant

Thanks Jeavon, and is it possible to get the latest Umbraco Version as found on this page https://our.umbraco.org/download/

Jan 26, 2016 @ 10:05
    Jeavon Leopold

Not immediately but I'm sure it's possible to get it out of the v3 NuGet feed https://api.nuget.org/v3/registration1/umbracocms/index.json

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 26, 2016 @ 10:49
    Lee Kelleher

I've been running an "unofficial" release archive for a while now.

I'd recently got it semi-automated, (as in I need to push a button when a new release is out).

On a side note, the source-code is on GitHub and using AppVeyor CI to do the heavy lifting.

The CI build pushes up the latest release to my archive. But it also does some other interesting things...

... and also diff/patches - in various flavours! For example, differences between v7.3.4 and v7.3.5 in HTML, Plain Text, XML, JSON and a Zip file (containing added & modified files).

If there was some way for me to fully automate this, that would be amazing, but for now I monitor the @umbracoproject Twitter account for release announcements and push a build button :-)

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
    - Lee

Feb 03, 2016 @ 08:58
    Paul de Quant

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the reply - sorry I've been so slow to respond. I think what you have is really good - I've always wanted to know what the differences are between each version and I agree it would be perfect if this was automated.

I've also heard back from Lumturio and it's that road map to create their service for Umbraco at somepoint this year - fingers crossed.

Cheers

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft