Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Jan 28, 2016 @ 15:16
    Craig100

Moving Media Folders breaks RTE image links

Umb 7.3.5

I just imported a 200+ pages and 2400+ images into a new blank web site using the excellent CMSImport tool. All was well until I moved a Media subfolder called "Content" from /Media/Images/Content to /Media/, so it ends up as /Media/Content. To my horror I found that all the image links in main content pages RTE's were now broken. Further investigation seemed to show that the media files had been physically moved to new subfolders in the media directory. I would have thought it would only have been a database exercise to renumber parentId's.

I noted that any images in Media Pickers were still ok.

Is what I just saw expected behaviour?

Thanks

Craig

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 11:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Craig

Sorry if I'm missing something here - But if the images were stored in the /Media/Images/Content folder and all the images were stored in that folder without making use of the usualy structure with /media/1029/*files then I guess it makes sense the RTE Image references are messed up since they're probably pointing to for instance /Media/Images/Content/someimage.jpg rather than /Media/1929/Someimage.jpg

It's been quite a while since I have been using CMS Import so can't quite remember how it does things. But if my assumption is correct then the RTE references won't update by themselves.

/Jan

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 11:48
    Craig100

Ah, you misunderstood (or I wasn't clear enough). I'm talking about the Umbraco UI Media section, not the physical files which would of course be in the physical file structure /Media/1234/somepic.jpg format. So I'm referring to the virtual referencing that I thought would be stored in the DB to allow the UI to create a virtual construct that is actually what you see in the Umbraco back end. When I moved that around, the image links in the RTE's broke. I don't see why Umbraco has to move the physical files just because you reorganise the UI hierarchy. That's what surprised me as that's the only explanation as to why a link in the RTE which looks like /Media/1098/mypic.jpg would break.

No doubt I've misunderstood the way the Media system works, or have I? ;)

Craig

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 20:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Craig

Aaah ok, yes I get it now and I think that it should behave the way that you describe. You should be able to re-order the structure without the references in the RTE being messed up.

Perhaps it's a bug related to v 7.3.5 - v 7.3.6 has just been released so perhaps try to run an upgrade and see if that fixes it? Otherwise it might be a good idea to file an issue at the issue tracker if no one else have done so already.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft