Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Saied 349 posts 674 karma points
    Jan 30, 2016 @ 16:41
    Saied

Using non-virtual umbraco pages with an external db?

Currently,

I have my products in an external db with all their corresponding data. I don't think this data is going to move into the Umbraco db. Right now, I have one document type/template that has the markup for the product and it is a virtual node.

I am not too keen on this setup. I would rather have every product in my db be mapped to a single node/page in umbraco.

One of the issues is that I havea search on my website and depending on the search results, different umbraco pages should show up. Is there a way I can combine my external db with nodes created in Umbraco, so when I search, I can bring back nodes that match that product and only render out those. This may be a confusing question, but if I will be glad to clarify.

As an example, if you go to www.sctflash.com/products/search, this brings back some products after querying an external db. When you click on a single product from the search results, that uses the virtual node/template to render the product info. You'll notice the URL now starts with www.sctfalsh.com/products/product. This product section is my virtual node.

Thanks, Saied

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft