Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Jacobs 7 posts 80 karma points
    Jan 31, 2016 @ 01:10
    Dan Jacobs

Members - default Group on registration

Hello,

I am using the snippet 'Register Member' partial view macro which allows me to have visitors register. What I really need is for those who register to be put into a Group automatically so now they can access a restricted page/section of the site.

This seems a fundamental part of role based protection - for a visitor to register and then get access to a certain area of the site.

For the life of me I can't see how to do it. I can see I can set a custom member type alias, but that doesn't help my situation?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 31, 2016 @ 09:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

It's been a while since I've had a look at this myself but I think you should be able to extend the current code using the AddRole() method from the member service API here https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/management/services/memberservice

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 04, 2016 @ 10:31
    Dan Jacobs

Thanks for your reply!

When you say extend the current code... my Umbraco website is hosted by pipeten.co.uk - so I only have access to files via FTP and the back-end CMS. Is there a way for me to achieve this or am I stuck?

Cheers!

Dan

• Bijesh Tank 192 posts 420 karma points
    Feb 04, 2016 @ 11:14
    Bijesh Tank

Hi Dan,

Are you looking for something like this?

MemberService.AssignRole(member.Id, "GroupName");

After you have created a member, you can then assign them a role as above.

Make sure you have created a member group in the Members section so you can assign the role to your members.

/B.

Feb 05, 2016 @ 11:25
    Dan Jacobs

Hi Bijesh - thanks for the reply.

So looking at the "Register Member" snippet in Partial View Macros, would I put this code in there? If so.. where?

Else where would this code go?

Cheers!

Dan

• Glen Kelley 3 posts 73 karma points
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 10:07
    Glen Kelley

Hi Dan

There was another thread requesting this sort of functionality to which I've posted a reply, hope it helps.

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/64185-Assign-new-members-to-member-group-upon-registration#comment-244173

Regards

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft