Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brian Milinski 42 posts 165 karma points
    Jan 31, 2016 @ 19:57
    Brian Milinski

Umbraco 7.3.6 Causes major performance issues

I recently upgraded to Umbraco version 7.3.6 and experienced awful performance implications when deploying to Azure Web Apps. I had to revert back to 7.3.5 because the site became unusable. Performance went from page loads of less than 1 second to over 20 seconds on certain pages, and this was AFTER everything had been cached. I am putting this out here in-case anyone is thinking of upgrading to 7.3.6, safe yourself some headache, and wait for the next release. Or BE SURE to do a backup, luckily I had one to revert to and reinstalled 7.3.5 in my solution, then redeployed to Azure.

This needs to be noted, and 7.3.6 shouldn't be a stable release at this point.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jan 31, 2016 @ 21:48
    Nicholas Westby

I was hoping to upgrade to that version for a project I started in 7.3.4. It would be super useful if you could create a detailed bug report here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issues

With any luck, the issue you describe will be fixed in the next release.

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 01, 2016 @ 00:28
    Robert Foster

Hm. I've upgraded a few sites now (on Azure WebApps) and haven't seen any performance issues - the site I just tested is just as fast as it was. This really needs to be quantified - is there anything in the Umbraco Log File? Does Azure Monitoring show anything up?

Feb 01, 2016 @ 14:14
    Brian Milinski

That is fair, to quantify, my DOM loads currently under 1 second. After the upgrade to the database, the DOM would load in 7 + seconds on (lower logic pages) and higher logic pages (i.e. more looping) they would be 20+. I rebuilt the cache with the API calls that Umbraco provides, and the issue was still there. The log files did not show anything of value. I just wanted everyone in this community to be aware that I had an issue with the upgrade, and to be wary so someone doesn't go through the same pain I did this weekend :)... Trying to be helpful to this community.

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Feb 01, 2016 @ 16:20
    Matt Brailsford

@Brian, out of interest, how many records are in your umbracoCacheInstruction database table? I've had an ongoing report with Shan about this table being able to grind a site to a halt because it struggles to process all the instructions, though this should report something in the log file.

If you do have a large table, I wonder if this response from shanon might help? http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-7682

Feb 01, 2016 @ 16:25
    Brian Milinski

Thanks for the insight @Matt, after querying the umbracoCacheInstruction table, it returns 163 rows. This doesn't seem like a very large quantity, but maybe ?

Feb 01, 2016 @ 16:36
    Brian Milinski

If I query this table umbracoNode, there are 1268 rows in that table. Let me know if you want me to query any other tables. It just seems odd that the performance dropped so drastically after upgrading.

• Mischa Landwehr 1 post 71 karma points
    Feb 01, 2016 @ 16:44
    Mischa Landwehr

I updated our customer's websites from 7.3.4 to 7.3.6. Most of them run well, but one cause time-outs. This one has aorund 3.300 published nodes - the other sites have under 50.

Feb 01, 2016 @ 17:39
    Matt Brailsford

@mishca and was there anything in your umbraco log suggesting the cause of the slow down?

Feb 01, 2016 @ 17:40
    Matt Brailsford

@brian and there is nothing in your log file to do with the distributed cache?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 01, 2016 @ 18:20
    Sebastiaan Janssen

FYI: we've had a few reports like this and are actively investigating right now, anything you can add can help getting to the bottom of this: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-7870

Feb 01, 2016 @ 19:50
    Brian Milinski

Unfortunately as far as log information, there really isn't anything showing up in my logs.

select * from umbracoLog as logg where logg.logHeader = 'Error'; 

Yields zero results. Just a browse through the log table also gives me nothing. I just see save, edit, and publish information.

On the Azure side I checked the event log for the web app, and nothing substantial was there either.

I am using Azure v12 for the database, and it is an Azure Web App. After reverting back to 7.3.5 everything went right back to normal and has been working perfectly.

I know this isn't anything "concrete", but this is the information surround the event.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 01, 2016 @ 19:52
    Sebastiaan Janssen

:-) The umbracoLog table has been basically not used since v6, it's all in ~/App_Data/log/UmbracoLog.txt these days.

Anyway, Shannon found the issue and is working on a fix, so tomorrow you'll hopefully be able to drop in a dll to make the site behave on 7.3.6 again!

Feb 01, 2016 @ 19:59
    Brian Milinski

Great, I am looking forward to it !

• roger malik 16 posts 78 karma points
    May 08, 2019 @ 11:32
    roger malik

I ran SQL profiler against a site in V7.5.14 and there are 14 database calls per minute by Umbraco even when not logged in or doing anything like clicking on an alternative page. Heres an example executesql N'SELECT * FROM [cmsDocument] INNER JOIN [cmsContentVersion] ON [cmsDocument].[versionId] = [cmsContentVersion].[VersionId] INNER JOIN [cmsContent] ON [cmsContentVersion].[ContentId] = [cmsContent].[nodeId] INNER JOIN [umbracoNode]ON [cmsContent].[nodeId] = [umbracoNode].[id] WHERE (([umbracoNode].[nodeObjectType] = @0)) AND ((([cmsDocument].[published] = @1) AND ([cmsDocument].[expireDate] <= @2))) AND ([cmsDocument].[newest] = @3).... SURELY THIS IS USING LOTS OF CONNECTIONS AND SLOWING THE SITE. Someone should look into this as its always been the worst part of Umbraco, also keep alive calls will add to this when logged in.

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    May 08, 2019 @ 18:44
    Robert Foster

Hi Roger,

Given that Umbraco 7 is now currently at 7.14.0 several versions on since 7.5.14, you should probably upgrade the site and then attempt to run SQL profiler against it, as a lot of optimisation work has already been done over the years.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft