Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eva 2 posts 71 karma points
    Feb 01, 2016 @ 15:48
    Eva

Upgrade to 7.3.4?

We have a version of Umbraco 4.7.1. Is it necessary and urgent to upgrade to 7.3.4?

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 10:23
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Eva,

It's a pretty big leap from 4.x to 7.x - I'd really only consider it if something prevented me from completely rebuilding the site on 7.x...

If the site is working great and the editors are comfortable maintaining the site in Umbraco 4, I don't think it's worth the time you'll need to invest in it.

Hope that helps,

/Chriztian

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 14:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Eva

I agree with Chriztian - Upgrading can be (probably is, but it depends) a major task when going from 4.7.1 to the latest version of Umbraco.

If you for some reason need to upgrade anyway then make sure to prepare properly - In some cases an Umbraco might not even be possible and then it's better to consider migrating the content from the old install to a new install instead.

But if you for some reason must do an upgrade make sure to read this piece of documentation carefully https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/version-specific - And keep in mind that you need to take reliance on 3rd party packages into account - Are the 3rd party packages going to brake because they're no longer supported for instance? Do you do some custom integration using the Umbraco API? Then you need to research whether you'll need time to refactor some of the code too.

There might also be some server upgrading involved since the latest versions of Umbraco probably requires some newer frameworks to run (But don't hold me up on that one).

Heather Floyd had a good session about this topic during CodeGarden 15 and you can see her talk here http://stream.umbraco.org/video/11664126/making-the-leap-from-umbraco-v46-to-v7

Just my 2 cents!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft