Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Tyler 2 posts 72 karma points
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 22:17
    Simon Tyler

How do I check what db Umbraco is using

I set up an environment for a developer with Windows server 2012, MySQL 5, IIS and ftp access and so on. We have a staging environment apart from the server environment. If I recall correctly, the dev was given the http://umbracosite url where the installer was waiting for him to proceed, and credentials for MySQL.

Somehow, it appears that he managed to avoid using MySQL at all; there is no other SQL server that I can find, and yet Umbraco seems to be functioning. There are two umbraco related databases in MySQL but they are completely empty with no tables. There is an AppData/umbraco.sdf that's about 4mb.

Where are the config files that configure database for Umbraco? This is not a WebMatrix install. I would like to figure out how Umbraco is accessing database and import the data into MySQL and reconfigure Umbraco to point to the new databases.

Thanks for any help,

• Keith R Hubbard 175 posts 403 karma points
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 23:13
    Keith R Hubbard

Check the web.config and look at connection string. Maybe using the umbraco ce database. umbraco.sdf. you can use mysql but it will perform great with Microsoft SQLExpress which is free. Also to import the database you can use web matrix to an SQLexpress install. never done it to Mysql. I could but why?

Best of luck

Keith

• Samira 113 posts 452 karma points
    Feb 03, 2016 @ 04:53
    Samira

Hi

Open the web.config file and search for connection string.

See the screen shot

enter image description here

hope this help

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 03, 2016 @ 06:19
    Jan Skovgaard

I think the developer has probably just hit the green "install" button and then Umbraco is installed with a predefined starter kit (Fanoe starter kit) based on CE SQL.

If one hits the "Customize" button in the install process one needs to make some choices regarding databases and whether to use a starter kit or not. During the DB selection it's stille possible to select CE SQL though but from your description above I'm 99% confident that he must have just hit the install button.

So you should probably do a migration from CE SQL to MySQL - Webmatrix might be useful for doing that.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• kajul 10 posts 90 karma points
    Apr 01, 2021 @ 11:20
    kajul

hi jan,

how to migrate sql ce to ms sql server ? any tools available?

Thanks in advance Kajul

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 01, 2021 @ 15:53
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft