Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• M N 125 posts 212 karma points
    Feb 10, 2016 @ 13:49
    M N

How easy will it be to upgrade from 7.4 RC to 7.4 Production?

Hey all,

Just wondering how easy it will be to upgrade from 7.4 RC (1/2/however many candidates) to the final production release? Our team wants to kick the tires, and report issues / have a package built up on 7.4 that would eventually transition to release.

Will the NuGet upgrade/installer handle, or are production and RC's separate?

aka Install-Package UmbracoCms -Pre

No rush, 7.4 looks incredible!

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Feb 10, 2016 @ 18:14
    Craig100

I was going to ask this very question. Have a couple of projects to start and was wondering when the final release is going to be, or if it's safe to start on the RC and then would you be able to do a Nuget upgrade to the final version?

So close...... ;)

• Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13631 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 10, 2016 @ 21:19
    Jeavon Leopold

NuGet will handle upgrades no problem. Please please kick the tyres and see if they fall off (hopefully not).

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Feb 17, 2016 @ 23:05
    Craig100

Hi Jeavon,

They appeared to fall off! I had a little site on 7.4.0 RC1 with SLQCE which I've just tried to upgrade to 7.4.1 via Nuget. It insists on doing a full install and not an upgrade :( I interrupted it and restarted, it went through to a dialogue that said "An item with the alias Member already exists" and pointed to uSync. So I can't say whether an out of the box install would have upgraded ok.

I removed all the uSync DLLs and directories and let it go through the full install using the same admin details and it was all ok. The site was fully there at the end of it.

Just a salutary tale for anyone else about to do the same ;)

• M N 125 posts 212 karma points
    Feb 25, 2016 @ 23:39
    M N

Thanks Craig, had the same result. Wasn't able to get this to work.

So I'm not sure if this is the preferred approach when switching from RC to Production, but the nuget gui does not find 7.4.1 as an update.. So I ran Install-Package UmbracoCms (currently points to 7.4.1 so I'm skipping 7.4.0) on 7.4.0RC1 . Note: that this is a different nuget path than the RC's such as Install-Package UmbracoCms -Version 7.4.0-RC1 -Pre ) .

It uninstalled all RC1 components, including all config files (web.config as well?) .. It looks like the backups happened last, and are simply backups of the "fresh" web.config (the default 7.4.1 web.config). So my original was lost. Naturally I have my own backups, but be careful!

I had a pretty bare-bones install, so I copied my connection string back into the "fresh" web.config for 7.4.1

(e.g)

<connectionStrings>
        <remove name="umbracoDbDSN" />
        <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=1.2.3.4,2433;database=MyDBName;user id=myusername;password=xyz" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
      </connectionStrings>

Then I ran the solution.. It will prompt you to AuthorizeUpgrade(this is the URL). log in with admin, and you will see the standard database updating screens/steps.

Everything looks good past this point.. Umbraco version 7.4.1 assembly: 1.0.5891.23238

Hope that helps someone. I have the NuGet log and was going to upload it, but you can't upload txt documents. Looks like the backups are explicitly removed a couple times.. Then recreated after the packages are added.

I think the most dangerous thing to note, is that the web.config file was completely lost.

Thanks Craig/Jeavon! If I missed something let me know, happy to test again.

EDIT - also tried Update-Package UmbracoCms -Version 7.4.1 on another copy - same result.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft