Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Frans de Jong 548 posts 1840 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Feb 11, 2016 @ 10:17
    Frans de Jong

Comments plugin without Disqus

Hi All,

I'm asked to build a intranet using umbraco. I don't think it's a problem, but the only thing I'm missing is a way to comment on a contentnode. For normal websites we use Discus, but for a intranet we'd like to keep the comments inside umbraco.

In the past I used a package called ucommentsy, but that's not realy supported anymore.

Does anybody know of a way/package that supports comments in umbraco?

Thanks,

Frans

• Tom Engan 430 posts 1173 karma points
    Feb 11, 2016 @ 14:00
    Tom Engan

In document types, I've added a new property:

• Name: Disqus comments
    • Alias: disqusComments
    • Type: True/False

Then I added a partial view named DisqusComments:

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoTemplatePage
    <div id="disqus_thread"></div>
    <script>
        /**
        * RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION VARIABLES: EDIT AND UNCOMMENT THE SECTION BELOW TO INSERT DYNAMIC VALUES FROM YOUR PLATFORM OR CMS.
        * LEARN WHY DEFINING THESE VARIABLES IS IMPORTANT: https://disqus.com/admin/universalcode/#configuration-variables
        */
        /*
        var disqus_config = function () {
        this.page.url = @Umbraco.RenderMacro("canonicalUrl"); // Replace PAGE_URL with your page's canonical URL variable
        this.page.identifier = '@Model.Content.Id'; // Replace PAGE_IDENTIFIER with your page's unique identifier variable
        };
        */
        (function () { // DON'T EDIT BELOW THIS LINE
            var d = document, s = d.createElement('script');

s.src = '//YOURDISQUESPROFILE.disqus.com/embed.js';

s.setAttribute('data-timestamp', +new Date());
            (d.head || d.body).appendChild(s);
        })();
    </script>
    <noscript>Please enable JavaScript to view the <a href="https://disqus.com/?ref_noscript" rel="nofollow">comments powered by Disqus.</a></noscript>

Then add to the template:

@{
       if (Model.Content.GetPropertyValue<bool>("disqusComments"))
       {@Html.Partial("DisqusComments")}
    }

Then add to the master template:

<script async src="//YOURDISQUESPROFILE.disqus.com/count.js" id="dsq-count-scr"></script>

https://disqus.com/api/docs/

Feb 11, 2016 @ 14:07
    Frans de Jong

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your answer but I'm looking for a solution without using disqus.

Kind regards,

Frans

Feb 11, 2016 @ 14:09
    Tom Engan

Oh, sorry I've just read it the right way now. Maybe some other can use this solution :-)

Feb 11, 2016 @ 14:12
    Frans de Jong

It's a nice solution.

I use it like that on websites, but I like something within umbraco for the intranet.

Feb 11, 2016 @ 14:49
    Tom Engan

What about a contact form only for Umbraco users listed with all child items inside only umbraco backoffice?

I followed five videos from here, included the last one "Dropdowns and preValues - Listing the question "and it works quite well. Could a solution similar this work, or might the rebuilding to comment on a contentnode too extensive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7UeXUtpjck&list=PLLYO0Qmbv5pvGjpI6Cyg3mVBoYtG_LK63&index=9

enter image description here

Feb 11, 2016 @ 16:37
    Frans de Jong

It feels a little bit like a misuse of content nodes. What happens when I van to have comment possibilities on a page that already has children?

It can be a last resort.

Thanks for the help!

Feb 11, 2016 @ 16:51
    Tom Engan

Good question, and I see your point (especially if content nodes is not defined as a list), and I haven't tried to modify something on this solution. Perhaps it is too extensive (but I think it's an good educational example of how you can integrate your own .NET experiences into Umbraco CMS).

• Nik 1608 posts 7234 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Feb 11, 2016 @ 16:56
    Nik

Don't store them as content nodes, well, it's not recommended that's for sure. Each time you create a comment it would "publish" which would redo the cache. Just imagine how big your cache will get.

Create a custom database table (or use a PetaPeco class) and have nodeId and MemberId as properties (along with comment text of course).

Then create your own form which posts to a surface controller and saves said information to the database.

You can create a custom section for the back office to display all of the comments in a tabular format for review if you wanted to.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft