Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David F. Hill 122 posts 242 karma points
    Feb 14, 2016 @ 23:14
    David F. Hill

Cannot modify property alias in version 7.4

Hello Umbraco Colleagues,

Regarding the new UI in Umbraco 7.4...

I imported a docType from an Umbraco 7.3.5 instance. One of the properties is called "Name" and its alias is "name".

When I attempted to add a new property to the docType, I could not save it because "The alias name is a reserved term and cannot be used".

But - and this is the part that is the problem - I cannot change the alias of the property. In fact, it appears that the ability to change a property alias has been removed from 7.4.

My questions are:

Is the lack of ability to modify an alias intended behavior?

and if so...

Am I the only one who sees this a big problem?

Cheers, David

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Feb 14, 2016 @ 23:59
    Nicholas Westby

IIRC, there is a lock icon next to the alias in 7.4. Click that icon and it should unlock the alias so you can edit it.

• David F. Hill 122 posts 242 karma points
    Feb 15, 2016 @ 00:21
    David F. Hill

Thank you, Nicholas! Yes that's the solution.

(In my humble defense, I tried something similar but didn't get my pointer directly over the lock icon.)

Cheers, David

• mmaty 109 posts 281 karma points
    Mar 08, 2016 @ 10:03
    mmaty

I have a lot of document types with the property alias "name". Currently they work. But do I have to change them to avoid trouble in the future?

Cheers Mirko

• Martin Proks 6 posts 100 karma points
    Aug 16, 2016 @ 13:49
    Martin Proks

Hi, I am rocking Umbraco version 7.4.3 - Umbraco as a Service, and I am using alias when I am creating new properties in code. The thing is that I can't use namig like for example: "should-work, ticket-number" and so. It always changes the naming to camel case. Is it possible to disable this naming?

Cheers, Martin /Novicell

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Aug 16, 2016 @ 15:12
    Nicholas Westby

Why not create the property with a name of "should-work, ticket-number" and an alias of "shouldWorkTicketNumber" (the alias and name are two different things)? Is there some reason you can't have the alias be camel case?

To answer your question, I do not think it is possible to disable camel casing in property aliases. One reason I can think of is that Umbraco uses dynamic typing to allow developers to access properties (e.g., CurrentPage.shouldWorkTicketNumber), and that would not work if aliases contained spaces, for example.

• Martin Proks 6 posts 100 karma points
    Aug 17, 2016 @ 06:33
    Martin Proks

Ok, thanks Nicholas, I'll use the name than. I was afraid that users could change it and than my code wouldn't work, because it would depend on it. That's why I focused on Alias :). But I'll do it the way you suggested.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft