Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ethan 12 posts 82 karma points
    Feb 22, 2016 @ 22:16
    Ethan

Removing Main Navigation For Landing Page

Is there a way to create a template or doc type that will have NO main menu, so that I can create a proper landing page?

How do I do that? Keep in mind I am a total noob with Umbraco and I may have more questions if I don't understand the instructions... thanks!!

• Jon R. Humphrey 164 posts 455 karma points c-trib
    Feb 22, 2016 @ 22:25
    Jon R. Humphrey

Ethan,

Just create a landing page doctype and template, check the properties of the doctype to be allowed at root, copy your landing page HTML into the template and add the landing page as the first child to the content tree.

You could do a lot more with redirections but this is the fastest and simplest way.

Feb 22, 2016 @ 23:18
    Ethan

I tried that and it did not work. Ive read all the docs. ive even had the person who created this site tell me how to do it and i follow all of that and it just does not work.

I need a template that does not have our header. i can create pages that have the header but i need to remove the header. this is not working... im giving up now. this is too frustrating.. thanks for the help but 4 months later its just not helpful... i need specific instructions not general because this doesnt make any sense to me.

I get errors each time no matter what. I created a doc type that copied the header with no content, and then i created the template and it either doesnt allow it in the folder or the home (yes root is allowed is checked and all node types and all doc types are checked)

it does not make sense

• Jon R. Humphrey 164 posts 455 karma points c-trib
    Feb 23, 2016 @ 00:04
    Jon R. Humphrey

Ethan,

Don't get too frustrated, once it clicks ... it really clicks!

Relax, for now, try again in the morning and if you can share any examples of code, and/or screenshots of the issues you're running into it's a little easier for us to help you get the desired outcome!

It's midnight here, but I'll check in and see if there's anything else we can do to help tomorrow!

Feb 23, 2016 @ 01:06
    Ethan

ok cool - I'll see if I can tomorrow, meetings might take over so you may not hear back for a couple days. This is the most frustrating thing I've ever done in my life! :P Thanks!

Feb 25, 2016 @ 18:41
    Ethan

I'm having our developer who created the site in Umbraco do this for me since i cant wrap my head around it :) thanks!

Feb 22, 2016 @ 22:27
    Ethan

I think I figured it out. I copied the header doc type and removed all the header sections... is that the right direction?? Then i can create another template that uses that new header doc type etc?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6147 posts 24056 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 22, 2016 @ 22:29
    Feb 22, 2016 @ 23:19
    Ethan

Thanks but that doesnt help me ive read and nothing is sensible to me. this should not be that hard. i can make templates and doc types. what i need is a template that has no header.

Feb 22, 2016 @ 22:36
    Ethan

Didnt work. I cant see my new doctype in any selections. Ive enabled all nodes and templates, everything is checked but i cant select my new doc type. this is frustrating. Ive been struggling with Umbraco for 4 months, and im a developer of 15 years.. not user friendly. sadly im stuck using it since its for my company.. help please!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft