Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bilal Haidar 144 posts 410 karma points
    Feb 28, 2016 @ 19:48
    Bilal Haidar

Document Type - Content - Blog in Fanoe starter kit

Hi,

I am going through the Fanoe starter kit. I noticed the Document Type Blog Post Repository.

This DT doesn't appear under any other "Allow child" DT. Therefore, I don't know how to create a new Content item based on that DT. However, there is a Content item created called Blog.

I am wondering how this Content item was created? Any ideas.

Thanks

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Feb 28, 2016 @ 20:49
    Marc Goodson

Hi Bilal

Yes, what has happened here, is initially the Document Type 'Blog Post Repository' was allowed to be created under the Home Document Type.

The 'Blog' node was created.

And then the ability to create further 'Blog Post Repository' folders was removed, by deleting the permission to create items of this type under the Home document type.

This is done to prevent editors from accidentally creating multiple content items of a particular type when there only needs to be one, created once, for the site.

In this example, the code assumes there is a single Blog Post Repository, and therefore prevents other's from being created accidentally.

You could enable the creation of further Blog Post Repositories in the future, perhaps one for each year, and tweak the code accordingly...

regards

Marc

• Mac McDell 73 posts 148 karma points
    Apr 13, 2016 @ 17:43
    Mac McDell

It would be cool to have this written somewhere (say within a blog post of the fanoe starter site)... I spent almost three hours going back and forth trying to figure out how this was done. Went to the point of installing another version to see if I screwed something up. Anyway... glad to see I was not the only one tearing hair out.

• Bilal Haidar 144 posts 410 karma points
    Feb 29, 2016 @ 05:57
    Bilal Haidar

Thanks Marc. It makes more sense now. I just starting to learn Umbraco and I was trying to understand the settings on DT and other related items and I wasn't sure how such thing could happen.

It's clear now. Thanks.

• Stuart Batty 14 posts 35 karma points
    Mar 01, 2017 @ 18:00
    Stuart Batty

I googled this for hours until I tried "fanoe blog content" and got this as the first result. There needs to be some @%! documentation with this starter kit, especially since it's an "official" package. I wasted way too many hours trying to figure out how this was done so I could repeat the layout. Love Umbraco!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft