Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bendik Engebretsen 105 posts 202 karma points
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 15:08
    Bendik Engebretsen

Delete user?

In the backoffice, if you right click on a User there is only the "Disable" option, but what if I want to delete the user? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Also, when editing the User properties, if I click on "Change password" and enter a password, the user won't save. Is there something fundamentally wrong with my Umbraco installation or am I just dumb?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 15:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bendik

1: In regards to deleting users it is not possible to do so. I think it's because that whenever a piece of content is created then it's related to the user who created it and then the issue with deleting a user is what should then happen in the database - Should it default to the admin? Or how should that be handled? I think that is the issue and why it's not possible to delete a user. By only having the option to deactivate a user the information are still available

2: What exact version of Umbraco 7 are you using? You should be able to change the password of a user without problems - But perhaps it's a browser issue? Caching or maybe a bug in the particular version of Umbraco that you're using.

/Jan

Mar 01, 2016 @ 15:40
    Bendik Engebretsen

Thanks Jan! I can see the reasons why it is not possible. Still, since I created a couple of test users I would like to get rid of them. And I think I can accomplish that by editing the database directly, right?

I am using v7.4.1. And the reason I got into trouble here in the first place was that I created a user but did not get a chance to choose a password. So I tried "Change password" but it won't let me save. There is no red error message but there is no green OK message either. This happens only when the "Change password" has been clicked, otherwise the user is saved just fine.

So now I don't know how to log in as this new user. Is there a default password when you create a user?

Mar 01, 2016 @ 15:49
    Bendik Engebretsen

Oh my God, I feel so stupid. The reason I couldn't save with a changed password was that it was shorter than 8 characters (banging my head against the wall, thump, thump, thump...)

So sorry for bothering you with that 2nd question... But thanks for answering the first one!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 01, 2016 @ 15:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bendik

Yes if you have only created test users and they have not been aktive in creating any kind if content I think that it should be pretty straight forward. But just to be safe make sure to make a backup first :-)

Hmm, I think that an error should be displayed when the PW is too short. No wonder why you got confused by that.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft