Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Mar 09, 2016 @ 02:47
    Meni

Site speed

Hi, so I'm using umbraco for almost 3 years and really like this CMS. Here's the thing: in one of the recent updates my site became really slow (7.3.7, then updated to 7.3.8). Now, I'm using 7.4.1 - and still feel my site is not what is used to be. Much slower than before.

My question is: 1. What can I do?

1. Is it maybe the share hosting? Maybe I should move to VPS? In the last years I'm on share hosting. Should I replace hosting company? (using WinHost)

2. Is there anything I can do in order to improve the code? some caching techniques I need to learn?

The guys from WinHost said my website consuming a lot of resources.

This is my website: http://www.opli.net

Please advise.

Thanks.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 09, 2016 @ 08:02
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Meni,

Are you using any custom packages ?

Is it one page or is it all pages that have this problem ?

Dave

Mar 09, 2016 @ 17:19
    Meni

Hi Dave, No. Just plain html5, css3, some scripts of course that I need to some functioning of the website and that's it. And of course - simple Razor code - you know, to display the posts on home page / archive pages - just a simple foreach loops that run on the tree and show the relevant posts by category

So I'd say most of the code is loops and switch / conditions statements. No package - not a big fan of packages. Also, on wordpress don't like plugins.. - like to write a simple code. Therefore, don't know what's the reason for the slowdown of the website. Try to figure out whether is the share hosting / the hosting company, or the website itself.

I also remember that once I was reading maybe here, that there's the caching system of Umbraco. So maybe I should start using it? Could it be the reason? Where I can find materials to learn it?

Thanks again

• Logan P. 47 posts 217 karma points
    Mar 09, 2016 @ 19:51
    Logan P.

Are there any instances where you are using Services to retrieve content instead of the UmbracoHelper? The services talk directly to the database, where the helpers lookup the content through the xml cache which is much faster.

Mar 10, 2016 @ 20:00
    Meni

Hi Logan, I'm using only UmbracoHelpers, don't know how to use the other things

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Mar 09, 2016 @ 23:25
    Marcio Goularte

The latest versions of Umbraco consume more memory compared to V6 and V4. Here in Brazil I have trouble staying because of it. I do not know to identify the cause of memory consumption. The solution I found was to use Azure. There consumption is around 300MB

Mar 10, 2016 @ 20:01
    Meni

Hi Marcio, did other users also feel it? Maybe it's a bug the Umbraco team should handle for the next version? So apparently it's not the hosting company issue?

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 13:49
    Marcio Goularte

Problem in Brazil is the hosting company. They are very bad :(

• Julio M. Vivas 57 posts 107 karma points
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 13:25
    Julio M. Vivas

We are experiencing a similar issue on an Umbraco V4.11.10 upgraded to V7.4.1. We have both versions running on the same Rackspace Cloud Server and V7.4.1 is consistently slower than V4.11.10 on both front end and admin back end. V4 is using about 250MB vs 500MB or so on V7.

To be fair, our V7.4.1 is an upgrade and is running as WebForms to keep most of the code compatible until it can be rebuilt as MVC so there are probably a few issues from 4.11.10 that are just getting worse, but it would be very helpful if anyone has a few hints of what could be done to mitigate this (other than speed the client is thrilled at the 7.4.1 UI and functionality).

We'll probably run it also on Azure to see if there are any improvements...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft