Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Søren Mastrup 122 posts 563 karma points c-trib
    Mar 09, 2016 @ 13:43
    Søren Mastrup

Very slow media section

I am currently having trouble viewing the media archive in my Umbraco installation - Running 7.2.4.

Umbraco randomly throws this error in the backend:

Server error: Contact administrator, see log for full details.
    Failed to retrieve data for child nodes undefined

It looks like the requests, to show the nodes in the Media section, times out. This is what I can find in my log:

2016-03-09 14:25:22,736 [7] INFO  Umbraco.Core.Persistence.UmbracoDatabase - [Thread 25]    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryHasMoreRows(Boolean& moreRows)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryReadInternal(Boolean setTimeout, Boolean& more)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.Read()
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.<Query>d__1c`1.MoveNext()

In my console I can see that the following XHR request either takes really long time to load or it returns error 500:

/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoTrees/ApplicationTree/GetApplicationTrees?application=media&tree=&isDialog=false

I am not sure what to do to solve this issue.
    Any suggestions?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 09, 2016 @ 14:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Søren

Just throwing in a longshot here...Have you checked that the disk is not full? Sometimes things can act up when the disk is nearly full so just wondering if that could be the case here.

/Jan

Mar 09, 2016 @ 14:40
    Søren Mastrup

Hi Jan

There should be plenty of space left.
    I have around 40 GB free space on the webserver and about 70 GB on the SQL server.

The size of the database is 2,2 GB and the Transaction Log is 6,8 GB - Don't know if this information can help?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 09, 2016 @ 14:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Søren

Ok, well that should be more than enough.

Has there been any changes done before this started to happen? Or did it just start to happen out of the blue today?

Does the event viewer on the server reveal anything useful?

/Jan

Mar 09, 2016 @ 15:01
    Søren Mastrup

No, there hasn't been any changes, except uploading images and creating / deleting content.

The backend works and responds well if I visit all other sections than the media section.
    When visiting the media section, these two XHR requests is very slow to respond and the last of the two often returns error 500:

/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Media/GetChildren?id=-1&pageNumber=0&pageSize=0&orderBy=SortOrder&orderDirection=Ascending&filter=
        /umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoTrees/ApplicationTree/GetApplicationTrees?application=media&tree=&isDialog=false

When it returns error 500, I get the following response in my console:

{"Message":"An error has occurred.","ExceptionMessage":"The wait operation timed out","ExceptionType":"System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception","StackTrace":null}

When i look in the TraceLog I see this:

2016-03-09 15:58:42,955 [49] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [Thread 10] Starting resolution types of Umbraco.Web.Trees.TreeController
    2016-03-09 15:58:42,955 [49] INFO  Umbraco.Core.PluginManager - [Thread 10] Completed resolution of types of Umbraco.Web.Trees.TreeController, found 8 (took 0ms)
    2016-03-09 15:59:13,088 [49] INFO  Umbraco.Core.Persistence.UmbracoDatabase - [Thread 23]    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, SqlDataReader ds)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at StackExchange.Profiling.Data.ProfiledDbCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader()
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass4.<ExecuteReaderWithRetry>b__3()
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.FaultHandling.RetryPolicy.ExecuteAction[TResult](Func`1 func)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.<Query>d__1c`1.MoveNext()

Mar 10, 2016 @ 10:08
    Søren Mastrup

An upgrade to 7.2.8 somewhat fixed the problem!
    It now takes about 10-15 seconds to load the media tree. I don't get timeouts anymore.

Now i get this in my tracelog:

2016-03-10 10:56:36,613 [37] WARN  Umbraco.Web.PropertyEditors.ImageCropperPropertyValueEditor - [P21804/T42/D9] Could not parse current db value to a JObject. Exception: Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Error parsing comment. Expected: *, got m. Path '', line 1, position 1.
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseComment()
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue()
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ReadInternal()
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.Read()
       at Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JObject.Load(JsonReader reader)
       at Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JObject.Parse(String json)
       at Umbraco.Web.PropertyEditors.ImageCropperPropertyValueEditor.ConvertEditorToDb(ContentPropertyData editorValue, Object currentValue)

There seems to be a problem with the image cropper.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft