Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arnaud 3 posts 73 karma points
    Mar 10, 2016 @ 14:22
    Arnaud

Install a fresh copy of Umbraco 7.4.1 without an example site incorporated

Hi

I'm very new to Umbraco and after some browsing and searching for up to date tutorials, videos etc I have somewhat given up hope that there is any available, The videos on Umbraco.tv are outdated and the voiceover guy should stop eating before he records them because there are several instances where you can actually hear him digesting.

Essentially all I need is a fresh installtion - I'm installing via Nuget if that helps.

Can someone please help!

Cheers

Arnaud

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Mar 10, 2016 @ 15:22
    David Brendel

Hi Arnaud,

• install umbraco through nuget
    • start project
    • choose "custom" when installer loads
    • go through Installation
    • done

Thats all you have to do.

Most of the videos in TV are still valid AS far as I know. The API hasn't really changed since 7.0.

Regards David

Mar 10, 2016 @ 15:26
    Arnaud

Hi David

Thank you for the response.

I'm pretty sure I did that and I still had a example site installed with content and document types etc which I do not need.

I will give it another bash in the morning and ensure I track my steps and will feedback.

With regards to the videos - I'm 100% sure they are outdated. Perhaps some of the principles are the same well most of them are if I think about it however the interface is completely different. Just being honest here....

Cheers

A

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Mar 10, 2016 @ 15:32
    David Brendel

Hi Arnaud,

in the screen where you can select a starter kit there should be a link/ button below the 3 starter which skips the installation.

If it still adds a starter then this should be a bug. Can't test it myself right now.

Yes could be that there are videos with the v6 ui. To be honest I haven't had a look at them for quite some time.

Regards David

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Mar 10, 2016 @ 16:09
    Craig100

Hi Arnaud,

I flagged this as an issue ages ago that the installer UI leads the uninitiated down an uncertain path. It sacrifices clarity for simplicity and ends up wasting people's time. I nearly always end up installing Umbraco twice, so I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, though I'd be happier if it wasn't there at all.

David is correct, you have to chose the "Custom" button and then click the link that says you don't want to install a starter kit.

I can perfectly understand a newbie being uncertain what "Custom" means and therefore ending up with an install they didn't want, having to delete the whole directory structure and start again. Hardly "Simplicity".

Umbraco is a great CMS to work with for editors and devs. But like all things IT, it has it's frustrations sometimes. Stick with it, the community will get you through ;)

Best, Craig

Mar 11, 2016 @ 07:07
    Arnaud

Many thanks gents!

@David - thank you for the steps. Feel somewhat bemused at myself for missing that. Although what is even worse I somehow how feel I saw that screen while perusing the web for tuts nevertheless I'm up and running... now for the next adventure.

@Craig - appreciate the thoughts. So far so good in terms of response and help - however I hope that I do not need to rely too much on the community after all we are all busy ;)

TGIF

A

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft