Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Oct 08, 2018 @ 15:34
    Dan

Grid v2 — what to expect

Hello,

I spotted that there's a branch of v8 called 'Grid 2' in Github. I believe there may have been some discussion about this at CodeGarden and some focus on this at the retreat, but alas I wasn't there, and I'd like to know a bit more about it.

Short of poking around in the codebase I wondered if anyone had any insight into what changes to expect with regards to the new grid, and also whether it's likely to be launched early in the v8 lifecycle or if it's something for later down the line.

Specifically, I use the DocType Grid Editor package extensively, so I'd like to try to prepare myself for the changes coming with the new grid. I'm wondering if that package will effectively be incorporated into the core?

Any insights most welcome, thanks folks.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Oct 08, 2018 @ 16:47
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Dan,

At the start of this year's CG retreat we rolled the idea of what if doctypes were central to the Grid, much like they are with Nested Content. Instead of relying of the JS config to define a grid-editor, we could reuse doctypes?

During the retreat, we prototyped a Grid "v2", which did just that. The "v2" part is there because there is such a fundamental difference from the Grid "v1". The idea being that "Grid v1" will remain, (for backwards-compat), and "Grid v2" will be for new installations. (This was all for Umbraco v8).

By the end of the retreat, we had a working proof-of-concept, from picking doctypes, the grid-editor, row configurations (also doctypes), through to the strong-typed view-models/partial-views. Much like how DTGE works. Except we use something called IPublishedElement instead of IPublishedContent, (it's basically a subset of it).

As far as DTGE is concerned, it would be redundant with Grid v2! (YEY!)

Since the retreat, to my knowledge, no further work has happened on Grid v2. Some discussion needs to be had around "schema types", (basically doctypes without templates and other page-based properties), but I'm not sure where HQ are with that.

IMHO, I don't think Grid v2 will be released as part of Umbraco v8.0, it would more likely be a v8.1, v8.2 feature, (that's purely my personal opinion).

Cheers,
    - Lee

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 08, 2018 @ 17:03
    Jan Skovgaard

There is a super brief mention of schema types and grid v2 by Shannon in this weeks unicorner here https://youtu.be/upRgGTM8sJU?t=134 sounds like it's something that is still cooking :-)

Really nice description Lee - I'm beginning to like it already!

/Jan

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Dec 26, 2018 @ 13:21
    Søren Kottal

Hi Lee

I have been playing around with the grid-v2 branch on v8, but can't find out how to use Grid v2. Did it the POC ever get pushed to the branch?

Would love to see how far you got, and be a part of the discussion :)

Jan 02, 2019 @ 17:23
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Søren, the branch is temp8-grid2 (which I'm sure that's the one you've been using). From looking at the commits, no further work has happened to it since the CG18 Retreat weekend.

The last I looked at it was at CG18 when we demo'd it during the Retreat review session. I haven't been involved in any further discussions about it. Not sure who "owns" the feature over at HQ, I assume all current focus is on getting v8.0.0 shipped.

But I think opening a ticket on GitHub might be a good place to have any further discussion?

Cheers,
    - Lee

Jan 02, 2019 @ 20:32
    Søren Kottal

Hi Lee, thanks for answering.

Unfortunately I didn't go to that session, and there is no video available.

If anyone can help me use Grid 2 from temp8-grid2 please chip in :)

Jan 02, 2019 @ 21:14
    Søren Kottal

I actually got it working now. Must have failed the build before.

There is some bugs though, but it's a POC :)

• bronzewind 42 posts 125 karma points
    Oct 02, 2019 @ 20:33
    bronzewind

Hi Jan, are there any updates to this? Thanks!

Oct 08, 2018 @ 16:50
    Dan

Wonderful! Makes perfect sense (both the direction and the explanation). Thank you muchly, squire :)

Oct 08, 2018 @ 16:51
    Lee Kelleher

You're welcome! Hope to catch up soon.... we miss you!!!

Oct 08, 2018 @ 16:54
    Dan

Ditto!

Really want to get to the next umBristol as I've missed 2 in a row now. Got some kid logistics to wrangle but I'm on it!

• Heather Floyd 603 posts 1001 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 10, 2019 @ 18:50
    Heather Floyd

I added a Feature Request to the Issue tracker to perhaps put this back on the agenda: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/5839

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft