Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• MickTemp 27 posts 109 karma points
    Jan 28, 2019 @ 23:53
    MickTemp

Umbraco 7 support timeline

With the imminent release of Umbraco v8, a big question for me is how long should we expect v7 to be supported?

A recent blog post states that Umbraco 7 will be supported and not discontinued of course, but is there any official timeline? Months, years?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 29, 2019 @ 06:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mick

Since I'm not with Umbraco HQ I can't tell you anything official. But My bet is that once v8 is released in stable v7 will still be maintained for 2-3 years, with bugfixes I doubt we will see new features on the v7 branch.

And once the 2-3 years have passed then the potential updates we might see is if some security issues needs to be patched. Whenever something has been discovered patch releases have been made for v4 if it has been affected too for instance. So that's what I'm thinking.

This is what I think based on the release history of v6 - The latest version of v6 was released approx 2,5 years after 7.0.0 saw the day of light :-)

My assumption is based on the dates I found at Lee Kelleher's unofficial stash of various Umbraco releases dating all the way back to 2.1.3.

I hope this helps somewhat even though I know it's more reassuring to have someone from HQ officially say something about it.

/Jan

Feb 08, 2019 @ 00:17
    MickTemp

@Jan Skovgaard thanks for the reply! Reassuring for those of us that weren't around for v6..

It would also be great if someone from HQ would weigh in officially.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 18, 2019 @ 21:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mick

Claus from HQ answers your question officially in this blogpost about HQ recommends one migrates to v8 here https://umbraco.com/blog/umbraco-7-to-umbraco-8-a-developer-s-perspective/

Is Umbraco 7 getting discontinued?

No.

While it is no secret that Umbraco 8 currently has high priority and will be the primary version for any new feature functionality going forward, we will also keep working on improvements for Umbraco 7. So if you decide to postpone migrating your site, you will not be left behind.

/Jan

Feb 19, 2019 @ 22:51
    MickTemp

Hi Jan,

Indeed, and that blog post is actually what prompted me to ask this question because Claus does not specify a timeline in that answer, that's all.

• Jonathan Brown 1 post 71 karma points
    Jan 20, 2023 @ 09:26
    Jonathan Brown

There's some key dates on this blog https://www.i-finity.co.uk/articles/umbraco-7-end-of-life-next-steps-and-support - hope this helps.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft