Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bryna 73 posts 259 karma points
    Feb 27, 2019 @ 22:14
    Bryna

Fallback Language Behavior

I was testing out the multiple languages and must say that this feature is very cool. I am a bit confused on how the fallback is supposed to work though. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have a documentCollection(CarList) which contains a Document Type (Car).

I have set up the variations.

When I add a new car to the list, it will show up on the English version of the site. When I switch to German, which I have to set up to fall back to English, the content will not show up on the site.

What I Expected: With English as a fallback, I would expect the English translation to show up on the site.

What happens: No content is present. This is most likely because in the admin when I go in to publish, I clearly see that there is no content translated.

I guess it boils down to how one feels about content being displayed. If there is no translation, I contend that it should be displayed so that if the user wants a translation, they could translate it via dictionary or other method.

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    Feb 28, 2019 @ 09:50
    Andy Butland

I worked a little on this and contributed some documentation that you can find here (make sure to filter for V8). Not had a play with the final V8 release yet but as far as I know what's there is still how the fall-back languages are intended to be used.

Andy

Feb 28, 2019 @ 15:18
    Bryna

Okay. That explains a lot. I am used to the @model.Property MVC convention and didn't realize the @Model.Value served that purpose.

• andrew shearer 506 posts 653 karma points
    Aug 11, 2020 @ 04:23
    andrew shearer

hi Bryna - did you find a solution here? many thanks

Oct 06, 2020 @ 18:38
    Bryna

I got enough information to be able to move forward.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft