Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick 2 posts 73 karma points
    Mar 01, 2019 @ 22:58
    Nick

Um7 to Um8 Database Migration Steps

Hi All,

I've been reading through the blogs and other parts of the site, and the documenatation / blogs suggest that currently the best way to migrate a 7 to 8 site is by migrating the databases first and then rebuilding the rest.

Ok, sounds good. The docs also I believe mentioned there is a tool to do the migration process, but I'm at a loss to find it.

Is there a script somewhere that does this database conversion process? Or a set of docs on it?

I want to give it a whirl, but I'm not sure how to begin.

thanks!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 02, 2019 @ 12:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nick and welcome to our :)

If I'm not mistaken all I have seen is mention of the migration documentation being work in progress so I don't think anything official has been released yet. But hopefully there will be some more documentation about available soon.

From this blogpost https://umbraco.com/blog/introducing-umbraco-8/ about the v8 release it says

While automatic upgrades from Umbraco 7 to Umbraco 8 will not be possible, very soon it will be possible to migrate your content (content/media/members) from the latest version of Umbraco 7 to Umbraco 8.0. We will let you know when we have more information ready on this, including documentation and information on best practices to follow.

It also refers to this post, which may contain some useful information https://umbraco.com/blog/umbraco-7-to-umbraco-8-a-developer-s-perspective/ but might not be comprehensive enough to get you started.

So I guess all one can say for now is "Stay tuned" :-)

/Jan

• Nick 2 posts 73 karma points
    Mar 04, 2019 @ 16:26
    Nick

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the response. Perhaps it was that second post where I saw some mention of a tool to convert the databases over.

Ok, sounds like it's still just too early to attempt this, so I'll wait.

Thanks!

Best, ~Nick

• Jeffrey Weinstein 67 posts 313 karma points
    May 04, 2019 @ 10:33
    Jeffrey Weinstein

Is there a tool for DB migration from 7 to 8?

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    May 04, 2019 @ 14:56
    Søren Kottal

Not yet, sorry.

• Dano George 3 posts 73 karma points
    Oct 25, 2019 @ 08:16
    Dano George

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reference. I'm waiting for the updates too. I thought about upgrading Umbraco 7 via nuGet, but then read the article by Robert Foster on YourITTeam: Upgrading to Umbraco v8 and related packages? Look before you leap! A must read for those who are in doubts.

• Dano George 3 posts 73 karma points
    Oct 25, 2019 @ 10:30
    Dano George

Upgrading to Umbraco v8 and related packages with essaytyper mobile tools. A must read for those who are in doubts.

Update: just forgot to mention the above article reference. Here it is: https://youritteam.com.au/blog/umbraco-v8-upgrade-guidance Upgrading to Umbraco v8 and related packages

• Jeffrey Veer 41 posts 308 karma points
    Oct 30, 2019 @ 09:10
    Jeffrey Veer

Hi,

I just noticed this post in the forum, but with Umbraco 8.1.0 a migration tool has been released for migrating content.

See the article on Our Umbraco here: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/migrating-to-v8

• Niels Henriksen 73 posts 276 karma points
    Feb 19, 2020 @ 09:17
    Niels Henriksen

But the migration tool for 8.1 dont help if the base version is 7.x - The big deal is to migrage from 7.x to 8.x

Feb 19, 2020 @ 09:24
    Jeffrey Veer

Hi Niels,

This migration tool is released on the release of 8.1.0, which made it possible to migrate from 7.14 to 8.1.0+.

So using this migration tool you should have no problem on migrating the content, unless you are using some packages which are no longer supported for Umbraco 8 (for example Vorto).

See also https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/migrating-to-v8#versions-supported:

The content migration tool is a database migration, which is made for the database schema of Umbraco 7.14+. This means that in order to do the migration the first step is to ensure your Umbraco 7 site is running at least Umbraco 7.14.

• Niels Henriksen 73 posts 276 karma points
    Feb 19, 2020 @ 10:01
    Niels Henriksen

Ah yes... my mistake :) Im sitting with a 7.13 I need to migrate to 8.5 ;D

Feb 19, 2020 @ 10:04
    Jeffrey Veer

Ah, clear!

Way to proceed is to first upgrade to 7.14+ and then you can start the migration process ;-)

Best of luck!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft