Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Deva Gali 1 post 71 karma points
    Apr 04, 2019 @ 11:40
    Deva Gali

Umbraco 8 DB migration Error

Hi All,

I am working on Umbraco 8 upgarde from v7.12.3. Below are the steps , I have followed to migrate the database.

1. Created a fresh DB copy of v7.12.3
    2. Created Umbraco 8 Blank solution
    3. Updated connection string to point to v7.12.3 DB
    4. Updated web.config
    5. Run the solution

The solution starts migrating the DB but at some point it fails with below error.

The database failed to upgrade. ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'COLUMN'. Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt')

Error in Log File

{"@t":"2019-04-04T11:18:29.2401653Z","@mt":"SQL [{ContextIndex}]: {Sql}","ContextIndex":215,"Sql":"UPDATE [cmsPropertyData] SET [intValue]=[dataInt]","SourceContext":"Umbraco.Core.Migrations.Expressions.Execute.Expressions.ExecuteSqlStatementExpression","ProcessId":23648,"ProcessName":"iisexpress","ThreadId":13,"AppDomainId":2,"AppDomainAppId":"LMW3SVC2ROOT","MachineName":"D05217","Log4NetLevel":"INFO ","HttpRequestNumber":10,"HttpRequestId":"403e3368-907b-412d-b0e2-04c144efc9da"} {"@t":"2019-04-04T11:18:37.0039416Z","@mt":"SQL [{ContextIndex}]: {Sql}","ContextIndex":216,"Sql":"ALTER TABLE [cmsPropertyData] DROP COLUMN [dataInt];","SourceContext":"Umbraco.Core.Migrations.Expressions.Delete.Expressions.DeleteColumnExpression","ProcessId":23648,"ProcessName":"iisexpress","ThreadId":13,"AppDomainId":2,"AppDomainAppId":"LMW3SVC2ROOT","MachineName":"D05217","Log4NetLevel":"INFO ","HttpRequestNumber":10,"HttpRequestId":"403e3368-907b-412d-b0e2-04c144efc9da"} {"@t":"2019-04-04T11:18:37.1019514Z","@mt":"Exception ({InstanceId}).","@l":"Error","@x":"System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'COLUMN'.\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction)\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction)\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite)\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)\r\n at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()\r\n at StackExchange.Profiling.Data.ProfiledDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() in C:\\projects\\dotnet\\src\\MiniProfiler.Shared\\Data\\ProfiledDbCommand.cs:line 272\r\n at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.FaultHandling.FaultHandlingDbCommand.<ExecuteNonQuery>b__31_0()\r\n at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.FaultHandling.FaultHandlingDbCommand.<>c__DisplayClass33_01.

Kindly help!!

Thanks, Deva.

• Simon Napper 83 posts 253 karma points
    Apr 04, 2019 @ 15:51
    Simon Napper

I'm having the exact same issue, anyone know how to get around this? According to this article it should just work.

• TheArtist 22 posts 71 karma points
    Apr 04, 2019 @ 19:34
    TheArtist

Hello, https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Umbraco8FAQ you can't upgrade from version 7 to 8. You need to migrate data from v7 to a fresh install of v8.

Apr 05, 2019 @ 09:20
    Simon Napper

I'm aware that the code bases are incompatible and prepared for that work, however there's conflicting information on content and media. TheArtist, that FAQ doesn't have a datestamp so I'm not sure when it was written and I'm not clear if the tool they are talking about is what that upgrade attempt (when running a v8 codebase at a v7 database) is or if its something else.

The article linked above is from January so not massively out of date and says

For that reason, our suggested migration path will be that you temporarily disable all of your existing Umbraco 7 code and then simply start out by upgrading your database schema with a blank Umbraco 8 site.

If this is incorrect and in fact there is a seperate tool that we are going to need to transfer content from v7 to v8, then can someone from HQ confirm this and perhaps amend/delete the article? It's the first result that pops up in Google when you search on this topic.

• Bo Jacobsen 593 posts 2389 karma points
    Apr 05, 2019 @ 09:22
    Bo Jacobsen

I know Umbraco is working on a database migration tool from v7 to v8.

But i dunno the state of it.

Apr 05, 2019 @ 09:25
    Simon Napper

Thanks Bo and yep aware of the tool mentioned in the FAQ, but what I want to know from someone at HQ is if the Claus Jension article is incorrect, as it definitely suggests that you should be able to upgrade a v7 database to a v8 database via a fresh v8 install.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft