Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damion 96 posts 331 karma points
    Apr 12, 2019 @ 10:00
    Damion

Deploying v8 app to Azure using Azure DevOps

Has anyone used Azure DevOps to deploy an Umbraco v8 application to Azure?

I can successfully deploy via Visual Studio, but DevOps only seems to copy over all the dlls to the target, no views or anything, and a zip does not get generated.

If anyone has managed this could they share the steps they took please?

The steps I have in the DevOps pipeline are

Build

Test

Deploy

Publish Symbols

Copy File to:

Publish Artifact

What I did notice is that I need a publish profile to successfully publish from Visual Studio, however I cant see where a profile should be included in Devops, unless it should be in the build arguments?

My current build arguments:

/p:DeployOnBuild=true /p:WebPublishMethod=Package /p:PackageAsSingleFile=true /p:SkipInvalidConfigurations=true /p:PackageLocation="$(build.artifactstagingdirectory)\"

I'm using the Visual Studio Build task

thanks

• Rasmus Olofsson 23 posts 187 karma points c-trib
    Jun 24, 2019 @ 19:27
    Rasmus Olofsson

I was finally able to get it to work.

My build steps are:

• Use NuGet 5.0.0
    • NuGet restore
    • Build solution
    • Test Assemblies
    • Publish symbols path
    • Publish Artifact.

Msbuild arguments: /p:DeployOnBuild=true /p:WebPublishMethod=Package /p:PackageAsSingleFile=true /p:SkipInvalidConfigurations=true /p:PackageLocation="$(build.artifactstagingdirectory)\"

Release:

1. Under variables I have a connection string variable with the same name as the connection string and the value of the production connection string.

2. Under tasks -> Deploy azure app service I have: Package or folder: Pressed the "..." button and pointed out the Web project (the same project the umbraco install is inside, the www). File transforms & variable substitution options: I have checked the box "XML Variable substitution"

Other important stuff

Roslyn

If you use modelsbuilder purelive, you will need Roslyn in the production server as well. So if you like me do not have Roslyn in sourcecontrol, you need to somehow get Roslyn on the production server. What I do is simply upload the Roslyn folder from: {webproject}\bin\roslyn\ to the webroot. I use FTP for this.

Umbraco

You need to upload Umbraco itself to the production server. Umbraco is inside {webproject}/Umbraco.

uSync

If you use uSync you willl need to upload that as well.

App_Data

App data is also a hidden folder that you (probably) need to upload. Don't really remember.

Troubleshooting

• "Error: More than one package matched with specified pattern: d:\a\r1\a***.zip. Please restrain the search pattern.

Go to release step 2.

• "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\pathtoproject\bin\roslyn\csc.exe'."

Upload the roslyn folder to server.

• Connection string error (don't remember the error message)

This took me hours to solve. The problem was that I had these: ' around my password when it was published to the server. Having those ticks around the password locally was no problem and not even inserting them after the site has been successfully published. But if the ticks are there while the site is being published you will get an error.

Here is my devops page so you can see what it looks like: https://dev.azure.com/rasmusolofssons/rasolo

• john blair 48 posts 219 karma points
    Nov 06, 2019 @ 12:27
    john blair

Here is how i do my Umbraco 8 website on Azure via DevOps. I also have release pipelines for moving the content between Test and Live bi-directionally. Umbraco 8 on Azure via Devops

• Rebecca Lewis 1 post 71 karma points
    Aug 24, 2020 @ 17:00
    Rebecca Lewis

i am also getting the error while deploying v8 app to azure

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft