Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Angelo 111 posts 260 karma points
    Apr 16, 2019 @ 15:42
    Angelo

UmbracoContext.Current.PageId.Value

sorry for the stupid question but

i have an extension that was something like that :

public static int GetMultiLanguageRelatedNode(this IContent content, int nodeId = 0) 
      {   
                       var a =    UmbracoContext.Current.PageId.Value;
                       return a;  
      }

it works perfect on U7 but why the hell in U8 "UmbracoContext.Current.PageId.Value" does not work ? im i doing something wrong ?

always saying that "UmbracoContext" does not exists in the current context but i checked the documentation and it says that nothing changed in this method ... or im i wrong ?

thank you

Angelo

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 16, 2019 @ 16:20
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Angelo

Can you show all method "GetMultiLanguageRelatedNode"?

Alex

Apr 16, 2019 @ 16:39
    Angelo

Hello Alex thans for the answer :) here it goes:

public static IContent GetMultiLanguageRelatedNode(this IContent content, int nodeId = 0)
            {   
                string sLanguage = Cultures.GetCurrentCultureName().ToLower();
                int iPageId = nodeId.IfZeroReturn(UmbracoContext.Current.PageId.Value);
                var relationService = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.RelationService;
                var relations = relationService.GetByParentOrChildId(iPageId).Where(r => r.RelationType.Alias == "relateDocumentOnCopy");
                IEnumerable<int> ids = relations.SelectMany(r => new[] { r.ChildId, r.ParentId }).Distinct();
                var contentService = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.ContentService;
                var nodes = contentService.GetByIds(ids);
                foreach (var node in nodes)
                {
                    if (sLanguage == Contexts.GetLanguageByPageId(node.Id).ToLower())
                    {
                        content = node;
                        break;
                    }
                }

return content;
            }

some of the methods are mine ... but "ApplicationContext" and "UmbracoContext" dont work :(

let me say also that i only was able to run U8 with .NET 4.7.2 i dont know if it helps ...

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 16, 2019 @ 21:24
    Alex Skrypnyk

U8 works only with .NET 4.7.2 it's fine

Probably, you need to rewrite this method totally.

As I see this method uses ContentService, it looks like not the best performance. When do you use this method?

in U8 there is absolutely different support of multi-languages so maybe you need to rethink an architecture?

Apr 17, 2019 @ 07:54
    Angelo

Alex let me reformulate the question

the problem its not the method it self ...because i know that the language engine has changed ! ... the problem is not getting access to ApplicationContext and UmbracoCOntext

so ... if i have a static class with several extensions ...how can i get the contexts without passing as parameter the service it self ?

in the U8 documentation it says in the last example that we can do like that :

IUserService us = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.UserService

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Reference/Management/Services/UserService/

the problem as i said its not the method, its the static instatiation inside a static class ( ApplicationContext.Current.Services.UserService) not being recognized

i dont know if i was more precise now ...

than you

AS

• Dave de Moel 122 posts 574 karma points c-trib
    Apr 17, 2019 @ 14:05
    Dave de Moel

You will want to use the following namespace in Umbraco 8:

using Umbraco.Core.Composing

Then you can access services like:

Current.Services.UserService

Umbraco 8 uses dependency injection and on top of that a composition layer. The above code allows you to get services (among other things) straight from the IoC container.

btw: The documentation sadly is not yet up to date with Umbraco 8. Whenever looking through the documentation look for the note at the top of the page that says "This article has not yet been verified against Umbraco 8.". That basically means that possibly something changes that impact the accuracy of the article. Sadly in your case you ran into one of the more massive (but good!) changes.

Apr 17, 2019 @ 14:26
    Angelo

Hello Dave fantastic ... im elucidated now :)

is there a way to do this in the "correct way" ?

thank you

AS

Apr 17, 2019 @ 14:41
    Dave de Moel

I don't think there really is a way to not do this in the correct way :P

Just add the namespace to the using at the top of your file and change all occurrences of "ApplicationContext.Current.Services.---" to "Current.Services.---" and you should be good to go.

Also instead of using "UmbracoContext.Current.PageId.Value" you can use "Umbraco.Web.Composing.Current.UmbracoHelper.AssignedContentItem.Id"

Having that said, you want to add "Umbraco.Web.Composing" as the using on top of the page instead of "Umbraco.Core.Composing" as they both provide the same services, but Umbraco.Web.Composing also exposes the UmbracoHelper.

Apr 17, 2019 @ 15:00
    Angelo

ok

i read this article https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/reference/Common-Pitfalls/

this is why im asking ..

but i will give it a try ... thank you a lot Dave ! :)

Angelo

Apr 17, 2019 @ 15:08
    Dave de Moel

Ah okay,

Well in that article it is recommended you use UmbracoContext.Current which basically the same as what I suggested above. The difference is that in the recommendation above you do use the IoC container that Umbraco now utilizes :)

Apr 18, 2019 @ 08:22
    Angelo

ok dave thank you a lot :)

all the best

Angelo

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft